• Has anyone connected a "DVD HDD Recorder" to a DM500c, just wondered if this would work especially with pausing live TV and recording 1 hour ahead?

• Zitat

Has anyone connected a "DVD HDD Recorder" to a DM500c, just wondered if this would work especially with pausing live TV and recording 1 hour ahead?

While this might work, isn't it better to allow to DM500c to record onto the harddisc of a PC or network storage device? This would give you better picture quality and would be a lot cheaper, too.

BTW, note that the new DM600 PVR has the same size as the 500 and allows you to mount an internal harddisc for recording and timeshifting.

• would be a good idea to stream, if the 500 didn't have the network- bug:

Streaming is not possible / very poor quality due to a bug in the network- drivers of the 500.

As long as Dream does not fix this bug (nobody knows, whether they ever will, because the new 600 does not have it due to another network- chip), streaming is not an alternative.

Tode

• Hi,

I've been streaming and recording for sometime now using ggrab/ngrab and my year old DM500s with no problems. Even programs with higher bitrates. No artifacts, no abusive audio just plesent watching.

I hear there is a patched ggrab that will record all audio tracks. This all results in a vob file, which can easily be watched using several different wind*w* programs.

• I didn’t particular want to go through my network for recording, that’s why I was looking at a DVD/HDD recorder, why can’t you record with the scart-out on the dreambox?

• Zitat

Original von magman
    I didn’t particular want to go through my network for recording, that’s why I was looking at a DVD/HDD recorder, why can’t you record with the scart-out on the dreambox?

On the scart you can only record analog. This means, the picture-quality is not as good as in digital and you won't be able to have Dolby-Digital sound.

cu

floh

• So I would be able to record on a DVD/HDD recorder, the reason I am confused is it doesn’t work when I use my VCR for recording, or is this something to do with the VCR rather the Dreambox?

• Thanks Floh & everyone above
    Would I be right in saying that a TV will receive digital from the scart but if you us it to record you only get analog? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

• Yeah I was just read up on scart connections - found this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

“SCART is not designed to transmit digital video or audio signals. The new (digital) audio+video HDMI connector is often referred to as "digital SCART". From this it appears that there will never be a second generation analog SCART to address the above limitations”.

But as recording goes I use the scart so I’m not watching digital anyway,
    As for recording on my VCR it must be a faulty VCR because the picture is rubbish mind you it’s not too bad when you fast forward it :smiling_face:

Thanks for all the advice.