DM920 - erste Schritte und erste Enttäuschungen...

• I have found another rather technical document about AC3 downmix.
    http://www.qualisaudio.com/documents/TechNote-4-5-6-2013.pdf
    It isn't really an easy thing :smiling_face:

Great! This must be an article for people who develop downmixing
    algorithms! :smiling_face:

When I watch a TV channel with AC3 audio and I switch the downmix on, the voice sound is getting louder on my AV receiver 5.1 setup. So this is really strange that in your case it is the opposite.
    What happens if you let the Samsung TV to do the downmix? I am assuming the TV can decode the AC3.

Zitat von Knorpi

Well, when I let the Samsung TV do the downmix, i. e. select the *.mkv file with the Samsung GUI and let it play, the sound is perfect!
    Voices can be understood clearly, while effects still are loud, but not much too loud so that you have to quickly grab the remote and decrease the volume.

Not sure if I got you right about changing the volume with AV receiver.
    Well the authors certainly would like us to listen to the movie at predefined loudness, but I think the loudness ratio between each audio channel is the thing which if kept will still produce the sound as intended.

Zitat von Knorpi

I see, but I also believe that the authors made the volumes for the people who watch the movie in a cinema. At home the range of loudness should be somewhat compressed.
    But when it comes to that you cannot hear the dialogues while the effects are much too loud, I believe that there must be something wrong with the downmix algorithm.
    My TV shows how you can make a good downmix, while the dreambox fails to transport the dialogues or center channel correctly. But I don't know who is to blame...

Of course you are right that this is a job of the component which does the downmix.
    But it will not be easy to prove it isn't done right.
    Using a TV as the measurement tool is probably not the right path.

Zitat von Knorpi

Ok!

Comparing a movie audio which goes via two different paths without knowing how they were altered by the Samsung SW, doesn't help either.

Zitat von Knorpi

Sure! I also believe that there are complex dependencies. I only want a solution for my situation.
    I am on the way to get an AC receiver and a surround system and I am sure that the problem will disappear then. But strictly spoken this isn't a "solution" to the downmix problem. It's just avoiding it...

So this was the second part :winking_face:

PiGeon

DM920
    Unstable image - always uptodate

• Hi Knorpi,
    by letting Samsung do the downmix I have meant sending the 5.1 audio via the same path as the downmixed one (HDMI or optical cable) to the TV and let it do the downmix. Not sure if the TV is able to do the downmix of the audio coming through inputs, but it could.
    Kind of the same what you will do with the AV receiver.

I know AV receiver isn't solution to the downmix problem.
    And as I wrote you still may have some loudness challenges left.
    But is certainly a path for having a better sound :winking_face:

PiGeon

PS: 3th part, no answer yet :winking_face:

DM920
    Unstable image - always uptodate

• Danke für diese gute Erklärng. Leider habe ich diesen thread durch Zufall jetzt erst entdeckt und jetzt erst die besseren Einstellungen gefunden. Aber müsste es bei 1.) "Passthru" nicht heißen: das passiert wenn man den Downmix a u s s c h a l t e t ?

Ich jedenfalls höre auch prinzipiell über einen Denon AVR und bin damit ganz zufrieden. Dass mit der Fernbedienung bei ausgeschaltetetm Downmix die Lautstärke über die CEC Funktion trotzdem gesteuert werden kann wusste ich gar nicht - finde ich aber super und das klappt prima. Das einzige was mich noch manchmal verwirrt, ist das man bei einigen Sendern über Audio schauen muss, welches Tonformat zur Verfügung steht (MPEG/AC3). Den richtig guten Sound über AVR gibts natürlich mit AC3. Wäre schön wenn man global auf der DM einstellen könnte, dass sie immer automatisch auf AC3 geht, wenn das Format auf dem Sender angeboten wird. Oder habe ich da was übersehen?

• Ja, das ganze menu auf der audio taste das man für jeden Sender benutzen kann.

• Wäre schön wenn man global auf der DM einstellen könnte, dass sie immer automatisch auf AC3 geht, wenn das Format auf dem Sender angeboten wird. Oder habe ich da was übersehen?

Klar kann man das global einstellen, dass sie immer auf AC3 automatisch geht!

Und zwar unter Einstellungen/Bild und Ton/AV-Einstellungen/AC3 standardmäßig

• Ok super. Jetzt habe ich erstmal verstanden was AC standardmäßig meint. Ihr könnt gerne lachen, aber ich hatte den downmix immer an weil ich die (und nur eine) FB als Steuerung verwenden wollte. Jetzt, mit CEC und den AC3 Einstellungen ist alles spitze. Ich will nicht wissen, wieviele ähnlich falsch informiert/unwissend waren...anyhow

Jetzt noch eine Frage: Anbei ein screenshot meienr Advanced Audiosettings. Welche schlagt ihr da vor? Und warum stehet bei mir Dolby Atmos not available? Mein Denon AVR X1600 kann das eignetlich! Vielen Dank für eure Erleuchtung!!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von epinet ()