DM900 - Media Player does not display network shares with folders

• Can I make DM900 's Media Player display directories ?
    I scan a samba share: organized as:
    directoryA
    file1
    file2
    directoryB
    file1
    file2
    etc...

all I can see in Media Player (after mounting/scanning that share)is:
    file1
    file1
    file2
    file2
    etc..

A flat structure with hundreds of files is very hard to use.
    Can I see is sorted in directories, or just browse the network share live ?

• Can you see the folders via FTP / Telnet / SSH? If yes, you might just try a different player plugin.
    For video files I prefer the regular movie list (PVR button) of the Merlin image or the AMS plugin. Alternatively DreamExplorer is easily used.

In general the MediaPlayer uses it's own database and DLNA sources. Both structures are not made for folder structures.

If you can't see the folders via FTP there is something wrong with you mount or the Samba server. Or you accidentally tried the DLNA/UPnP instead of Samba.

so long
    m0rphU

• I do not expect to see the directories on Dreambox, (they are on a samba/cifs server, accessed as a share over LAN)
    I'll google the other plugins you mentioned.
    You also mention using PVR button, sure, I could mount the network share to the SSD inside dreambox, an you may know if the internal player handle .mp4, mkv, .sub .srt and other files than just .ts ?

Thanks

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Arkig ()

• I think you misinterpret the mounting concept in Linux. If you mount the Samba share, you will be able to access it in you local filesystem without actually storing any data there. You might compare it to the drive letters in windows. There you can mount a samba share with any letter (e.g. Y:\ ) and then access the files via that letter (e.g. Y:\directoryA\file1).

Try the network browser to add a mount to your share and you will be able to access the share via /media/YOURSELECTEDSHARENAME/directoryA/file1 etc.

Regarding the media formats: Yes. All video formats that are played by the MediaPlayer work with the regular movie player (PVR), including subtitles etc.
    Only .iso files (DVD or BluRay rips) will only work with DreamExplorer or AMS.

so long
    m0rphU

• hi, just to clarify:
    I was not confused by mounting vs the database-like file view in the MediaPlayer, just new to dreambox (not Linux) and may have worded it poorly. :smiling_face:

Tried to solve it by mounting my shares to /media/hdd/movie/episodes , and while that works fine on file system level, DVR does not display any directories.
    Made DVR use /media/hdd/movie/episodes , and it will only display the files on the root of that share, and no dirs.

Seems like the main problem here is that DVR does not handle dirsl..

• no it is not, but there are better players or Plugins for browsing directory structures or list and play all media files found there. EMC, AMS, VideoDB, just to mention some in alphabetical order.

• If you didn't mount anything before, you were simply not mounting at all :winking_face: All the media player can show is the regular file system and DLNA servers.

Regarding the PVR list:
    In the original version of the PVR list directories are indeed not shown. You can switch directories with the bookmarks which you can select and set by pressing the PVR button once again.
    Only the PVR list of the Merlin image can handle directories in the list. In other images you need the EMC or AMS plugin.

so long
    m0rphU

• @gutemine : I don't see "EMC, AMS, VideoDB" in "plugins / extension manager" , what did I miss, do you add another repository or something ?

@m0rphU : yes, I did mount the shares, you know, , also added it to fstab and I can see them mounted, and browse them just fine using SSH, so they are there.
    you wrote "Merlin image" and mentioned "other images" ... what is that about ?

• AMS: https://www.i-have-a-dreambox.…hread.php?threadid=156282
    EMC: https://www.i-have-a-dreambox.…hread.php?threadid=159442
    VideoDB: http://board.dreambox-tools.in…0-DM52X-Update-07-08-2017

Those are plugins which you might install in any DreamOS based image through dpkg and apt.
    An image is some kind of distribution for enigma2. For the 900 they come as tarballs and can be flashed via the rescue loader. Flashing a new image is like installing a new OS on your PC. The internal flash is newly formatted and settings can only be kept through the various backup options (the easiest one directly sitting in the rescue loader with two small boxes :winking_face: ). Plugins need to be reinstalled anyway.
    For flashing see:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Just a side note: Additional to the DreamOS version of enigma2 there are plenty of forks, mainly organized in the OpenAlliance (e.g. OpenATV) that support other boxes as well. But as this is the manufacturer board, I'd like to focus on DreamOS only :winking_face:

By default the stable image from http://dreamboxupdate.com/ is installed, but there is also an unstable branch.
    The contents of an image mainly depend on the image team. e.g. OoZooN images are more or less purely based on the DreamOS stable or unstable branches and just add some plugin feeds. Merlin uses the unstable branch but changes some core functions as well (e.g. the movie list). NN2 tries not to change core functions but replace some of them with their own plugins etc. But again, all the aforementioned plugins work in any of those images.
    As per my Avatar: I'm part of the Merlin team, so I'm not really neutral on the image question :grinning_squinting_face: Therefore I would always suggest that one.

P.S.: I hope Google translate does a good enough job on all the German content :face_with_open_mouth: But hey, Dreamboxes are German :winking_face:

so long
    m0rphU