CD and DVD via USB DVD drive

• Hi,
    our old DVD player is gone, so I thought about attaching an USB DVD drive, which I use just occasionally, to dreambox.
    I already have the whole collection on the Plex server, but my wife still would like to be able to play the CDs and DVDs the old fashion way.

After fighting with powering it properly it seems to be finally loaded successfully.

nevertheless it fails to mount the file system of the CD audio disc

Dec 09 20:11:32 dm7080 enigma2[196]: Harddisk.py: failed to read /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/usb9/9-2/9-2:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sr0/partition
    Dec 09 20:11:32 dm7080 enigma2[196]: found block device 'sr0':

and it fails also when I insert DVD video disc

the DVD drive is one from ICYbox and uses a Cypress chipset
    I have installed following modules to make it working:
    apt install kernel-module-ums-cypress
    apt install kernel-module-udf
    even the
    apt install kernel-module-isofs
    which I think shouldn't be necessary.

As I am not a Linux expert is there anything I am missing here?

thanks for any comment

PiGeon

DM920
    Unstable image - always uptodate

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von PiGeon ()

• It didn't leave me at rest, so I did some other tests.

I have updated DM7200HD to the last available OE 2.0 image and connected the DVD drive to it. And guess what, everything works. As soon as I insert a disc it gets recognized and asks me if I want to play it, doesn't matter if CD or DVD.

So I went back to DM7080HD and tried to mount manually CD-AUDIO disc, later learned that this isn't correct, CD-AUDIO isn't supposed to be mounted because there isn't a file system.
    Then I tried to mount DVD-VIDEO and it was successful

The harddisk.py still seems to have the very same trouble mounting the DVD-VIDEO, although the manual mount works quite well

It seems that I still have some other issues, because the enigma crashes when I start the DVD player from menu or choose to play DVD from the gemini VIDEO browser.

• Maybe you need "libdvdcss2_1.2.10-r1" in your image, but i dont know, how your image works.
    Regards

• thanks for trying to help

initially I didn't have it installed, but it crashed also with it
    I have even a newer version installed

Zitat

root@dm7080:~# apt list *css*
    Listing... Done
    libdvdcss2/unknown,now 1.4.0-r0.0 mipsel [installed]

DM920

• Just wanted to report, that I moved forward.
    After upgrading to the last enigma r22 packages, no more GS while playing the DVD-VIDEO, so you can ignore the crash logs.

DM920

• But it somehow still doesn't behave as I would expect.
    There isn't any autoplay popup window coming up after inserting DVD-VIDEO disc.
    I need to fire up the DVD player my self.

It looks like the harddisk.py errors while ejecting the media disc

Zitat

Dec 14 10:52:45 dm7080 enigma2[215]: Harddisk.py: failed to read /sys/devices/platform/ehci-brcm.1/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sr0/partition
    Dec 14 10:52:45 dm7080 enigma2[215]: found block device 'sr0':
    Dec 14 10:52:45 dm7080 enigma2[215]: Harddisk.py: failed to read /sys/devices/platform/ehci-brcm.1/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sr0/partition
    Dec 14 10:52:45 dm7080 enigma2[215]: [removeHotplugPartition] for device:'sr0' uuid:'None' and mountpoint:'/autofs/sr0/'

and inserting another disc are both OK

Zitat

Dec 14 10:53:17 dm7080 enigma2[215]: Harddisk.py: failed to read /sys/devices/platform/ehci-brcm.1/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sr0/partition
    Dec 14 10:53:17 dm7080 enigma2[215]: found block device 'sr0':

It looks like the "found block device 'sr0':" line is the cruicial one

But I don't know what to do with the audio cd, when I insert the CD-AUDIO disc I get the very same lines as when inserting DVD-VIDEO.
    There is again no autoplay poping up :frowning_face:
    When I open the GP Music-Browser or Jukebox it wants me to open some mount folder, but there is non which would contain the audio files and if I got it right the mount of CD-AUDIO isn't actually possible.

thanks for any help

PiGeon

DM920

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von PiGeon ()

• you should check also the kernel modules for the filesystems like cdfs, iso*, otherwise mount fails.

• thanks for stopping by :winking_face:

Although I think I have all which might be needed for playing the audio cd already installed

DM920

• found a article on the internet how to check if the CD was recognized successfully
    it looks like the system sees it as an audio CD with 12 tracks
    there is just no player which will see it

I have installed the enigma2-plugin-extensions-mediaplayer, but it also offers just HDD, Network and Internal Flash mounts :frowning_face:

DM920

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von PiGeon ()

• anyone any idea?

thanks for any comment :winking_face:

PiGeon

PS: ihr koent auch auf deutsch antworten, ich werde es verstehen, mittleweile traue ich mir nur nicht so viel beim schreiben

DM920

• Today I have tried a different USB DVD drive.
    DVD video discs play OK, but I couldn't find any way how to play CD audio discs.

It however looks like the system sees the disc and all its 12 tracks like the previous device.
    Any hint how to play the disc?

thanks

PiGeon

DM920