UK access to EU satellite radio

• I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm based in the UK and I'd like to use a Dreambox 7020 to have very high quality access to European radio stations such as Concertzender (Netherlands), Bayern 4 Klassik (Germany), ORF OE1 (Austria), RAI Radio 3 (Italy), Radio France Musique and Switzerland DRS2. Using information from Lyngsat, I gather from that these stations broadcast over a variety of satellites - Astra 1G, Astra 1H, Astra 2C, Hot Bird 2, Hot Bird 3, Hot Bird 6, Hot Bird 7A and so on. Many of these stations have webcasts, but they are often relatively poor quality (just like Radio 3's digital output).

What is the best way to access all of these stations via satellite, and what equipment would I need? I would want to be able to record long radio programmes, so I presume that the Dreambox 7020 receiver with a hard drive would be necessary. And what dish set up would I need to be able to access all of those satellites? I know very little about what is needed, so all advice gratefully received. (I'm based in Cheshire, so if there is a good dealer in this area please let me know).

-- T

• Zitat

What is the best way to access all of these stations via satellite

In my opinion, a motorized dish setup using a Disecq1.2 motor like the STAB HH100 and a 60cm dish should allow you to get a lots of radio stations.
    Important is the LNB - here I would buy a very good single LNB (like the MTI 0,3db HIGH GAIN at around 30 EUR) and use quality shielded satellite cable.
    This way you can expect to receive satellites that normally need bigger dishes.

Any dreambox model is capable of recording those streams perfectly. Cheaper solutions include getting a digital satellite card or USB-box - only useful if you don't need you PC during recording.

For playback of those recordings I recommend getting an Iriver H120 mp3 player (see Rockbox) - as this can model be modified to play back captured DVB-S radio mp2 without any re-encoding.

BTW, I do not think that the BBC's radio output via satellite is that bad, even if their bit rate does not match German radio stations. A dreambox would also allow you to capture BBC radio and TV at the best quality possible.