Now I have a message
    startup
    failed/stopped
    thank's for your help

DM800se

DM820

DM900L

DM TWO Bientôt

• It's not possible to flash an image for a different model. Try to bring the box in the flash mode (maybe it already is) and flash a correct image.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• hello
    I can't flash it

in OLD-display I haven'to IP but a message
    rescue #20

startup
    failed/stopped
    and rescue mode does not work

DM800se

DM820

DM900L

DM TWO Bientôt

• If you're too lazy to read what I posted then good luck. I won't help you. It's all there. You don't need an IP. Just rtfm!!!!!!!!!!

Gruss
    Dre

• dre - the RTFM for an old Dreambox will not really help him with the 820, as it has not serial support and no DreamUP support.

Well you can enter console mode via serial, but this is not something for people who prefere to take warm water showers ...

• Hi

I tested browser DCC Dreamup RL but nothing
    I am of those who can take a cold shower :grinning_squinting_face:

DM800se

DM820

DM900L

DM TWO Bientôt

• Then get an USB cable and the serial drivers for your PC (or Linux works without) and start to familiarize with putty - creating and posting a bootlog is your next job.

• Well the kernel starts and then it panics:

Code
    [	1.009000] VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) on device 179:1.
    [	1.011000] devtmpfs: mounted
    /sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libudev.so.1: file too sh
    [	1.061000] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00
    007f00
    [	1.061000] 
    [	1.062000] Rebooting in 180 seconds..

This is a hard one because it happens when mounting the ext4 root filesystem, which means you have .. nothing.

BUT it is still the 820 Kernel, and TCP is also started, but then it dies because of the crashing kernel.

BUT the recovery Kernel should run from an initrd and NOT from a filesystem, which would mean you are still NOT booting correctly into recovery kernel.

Please read oled messages very carefully when you tun on power with pressed power button, it looks like you release it too early and it then tries to boot normal flash. You have to keep the button pressed until the bios KNOWS that you want to move into recovery, the countdown in oled is NOT just for fun.

• Please read oled messages very carefully when you tun on power with pressed power button, it looks like you release it too early and it then tries to boot normal flash. You have to keep the button pressed until the bios KNOWS that you want to move into recovery, the countdown in oled is NOT just for fun

that's what I do

look the log

• Triy to enter help to see commands. I guess menu should open the bios. Just a guess.

Gruss
    Dre

• Offizieller Beitrag

The easiest way to fix this problem is as follows:
    download http://dreamboxupdate.com/open…4-r0.3-dm820-20160405.bin and save in your downloads folder.

You need a TFTP server on your notebook or PC. For Windows, this one is easy to use:
    http://www.heise.de/download/p…download/danke?id=19325-1

You may have to set up your firewall to allow "Pumpkin" to access your network, in case of doubt, deactivate the firewall completly for this stip.

The box has to be connected by ethernet cable to your local network, preferrably with a DHCP server. Should it be necessary, it also works without DHCP server, explanation is down below.

In addition, you will need a terminal emulation program, for example putty. But since you already see the debug output of the box, you seem to already have such a tool.

In the Pumpkin TFTP server you need to configure the shared folder that contains the vmlinuz.....20160405.bin file.

In the terminal program you need to enter the following command at the CFE> prompt:

Code
    boot -tftp -elf PC-IP:vmlinuz-rescue--3.4-r0.3-dm820-20160405.bin

You need to replace PC-IP with the IP address of the machine that you're running the TFTP server on.

If you see the graphical menu of the bootloader instead of the CFE> prompt, press Ctrl+C.

If you don't have a DHCP server, you need to give a static IP to the box first. You can do this with: ifconfig eth0 -addr Box-IP where Box-IP is an IP address out of the same range as your PC,
    e.g. if your PC has 192.168.178.10 then give the box IP 192.168.178.30 or something like that.

Code
    ifconfig eth0 -addr=192.168.178.30

Then retry the boot -tftp.... command.

If it worked, the box will automatically boot the usual rescue loader menu, which allows you to flash the normal way using your browser.

But since the rescure loader is just executed from RAM after loading it via TFTP, you also need to flash the rescue loader after flashing the normal boot image.

You can do this with the rescue loader or after booting up the normal linux system.

For this you need to connect via telnet/ssh or the login prompt on the terminal and run

Code
    cd /tmp
    wget http://dreamboxupdate.com/opendreambox/2.2/stable/images/dm820/vmlinuz-rescue--3.4-r0.3-dm820-20160405.bin
    flash-rescue /tmp/vmlinuz-rescue--3.4-r0.3-dm820-20160405.bin

After this, the rescue loader is restored.

cu

• Thanks Ghost for this small How-To recover from a ruined rescue Kernel.

• you have to define an IP-address for the dreambox that is different from your PC's.

from the log:

Code
    Device eth0:  hwaddr 00-09-34-2F-2E-94, ipaddr 192.168.1.23, mask 255.255.255.0
            gateway 192.168.1.1, nameserver xx.x.x.xx, domain xxxxxxxx

Code
    boot -tt ftp -elf & 192.168.1.23:vmlinuz-rescue--3.4-r0.3-dm820-20160405.bin
    enter ui_cmd_bootcommon

or quoted from ghost:

Zitat

e.g. if your PC has 192.168.178.10 then give the box IP 192.168.178.30 or something like that.

Gruss
    Dre

• but you understand that either one or the other ip address must be changed? you cannot have the same ip address for the box and the tftp server. but this exactly what you have!

Gruss
    Dre