DM500Si-Linux. - What is it?

• Hello, I am a total newbie to satellite Tv & I am hoping someone might help with my confusion.

I have been searching the internet for a Satellite receiver (DVB-S) suitable for receiving free to air TV in Australia. (Australia is the only country where a smartcard is required to get FTA Tv - Aurora/Irdeto2)

I wish to install it into my motorhome, & would like to operate it from a 12Volt power supply.

Receivers that can accept a smartcard (Aurora) & operate on 12 volts seem to be uncommon in Australia.

I found an Ebay auction (in the UK) selling a Dreambox DM500Si -Linux, which appears to have a smartcard slot & can operate on 12v. However on the Dream Multimedia website, no mention is made of 12 volt.

Can anyone confirm that this unit can accept *any* smartcard, & that it can operate on 12 volts?

Also I am unclear exactly what this unit can do. It seems that it may be more than a simple receiver, with it's built in processor etc.

Please could someone explain the intended usage of this machine to me.

I would welcome any advice /recommendations for alternative machines if the DM500Si-linux is unsuitable for my purpose, or indeed if it is 'overkill' for my simple requirements. If it is suitable, any pointers to where I might obtain one in Australia would also be hepful.

Although I don't understand why the unit can be connected to a computer, I have read that it can be.
    My computer is a Mac Powerbook. Is this a problem.

Looking forward to someone educating me.
    Thank you all,
    Regards
    Cuppa

• The DM500Si have a Firecrypt Card included for some XXX Chanels which will be found on hotbird (13.0E). The cardslot accepts only firecrypt cards and can not work with any other encryption legaly. So if there is a way to do this, it will not be discussed here, because it is not legal.
    The DM500 works with an external power supply. As far as I know it uses 12V DC for input, but I dont know it for sure at the moment becaus Im in the office and didnt have any DM500 here :winking_face: