Spinning gears

• Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone else has to suffer this problem with their DM7080 HD.

I regularly see spinning gears in the corner of the screen, and when they are spinning the remote control is completely useless, eventually they disappear and the remote control starts working again. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes or more.

Also sometimes the box won't wake up using the remote (purple screen) and again it can take 5-10 minutes before it responds to the remote control.

For such an expensive box I find this issue very annoying.

The software is fully updated, are there any settings I might change to fix this behaviour?

Thanks for any help.

Receivers: DM7080 HD (Astra 28.2E)

• Unfortunately it is like the what use to be the egg timer icon on earlier versions of windows before they changed to the spinning circular thing they use now and it is just to let you know that it is working on something so until it stops you can not do anything.

My DM8000 does it when it is loading the recorded items when I click on the PVR button, although if it ever took 10 minutes instead of the 30 seconds to a minute that it usually takes, then I would probably reboot the box.

DM 8000 Beta Tester

• I sometimes have the same when rebooting the box, whether I do it with the RC or with the button at the back side. As a matter of fact it happens randomly so not always. sometimes I have to reboot 10 times before there will be no spinning gears and the box will reboot normally

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ni_hao ()

• The spinning gears usually mean, that there is something running in the background. Most probably it is a plugin, that does the job you told it to do (AutoTimer, SeriesPlugin, SerienRecorder, MediaCenter, etc.).

You can connect to your box using telnet and type "journalctl -u enigma2 >> /tmp/enigma2.log" directly after the problem occured and then post the content of that file here.
    There we can see, what makes the box show the spinners.

• Yes, Enigma2 log would tell You what is happening. Things like AutoTimer or EPGrefresh or stranded network mounts can easily produce such a behaviour when not Setup properly.

• As the others said, the spinning gears are basically a sign for heavy work load and therefore you can not do anything with the remote at that point. They're normal if you start some process on the Box. Of course it shouldn't happen during regular zapping.

Are you using any special skin or plugins that work in the background? The Metrix skin is known to cause heavy load because it has a bad implementation of the weather update.
    A NAS connection for timeshift or something similar could also cause timeouts with a blocking behaviour.

ni_hao: You should NEVER EVER "shut down" the box by the back switch when the Box is not in Standby mode.

so long
    m0rphU

• Ah I do use AutoTimer, in fact that is my main use of the box. I setup a few auto timers and just let the box schedule its own recordings. I probably have around 20 auto timers set up.

Is this too many?

Is there something I can do to reduce the workload, such as reduce the EPG somehow so it doesn't need to scan so much EPG to create the timers? I use gutemine's OpenEPG to get the Sky EPG data, but in reality I only record from about 10 channels, so all others could be ignored if possible.

I will try running the command given above next time it happens and report back.

Thanks.

• AutoTimer by default runs every 3 hours (if autopolling is enabled). And checking 20 timers just needs some time and during that time your box is blocked.
    I usually configure autotimer to run once at night or very early in the morning.

This can be done by disable autopoll in autotimer and enable EPGRefresh and tell EPGRefresh to start autotimer after the refresh (Option name is "Run AutoTimer after refresh").

Then you don't care, if the box is blocked for some time.

• OpenEPG has a setting to load epg only for channels in your favourites.

• Thanks for the info everyone.

I was using the Elgato skin but I have now just discovered the Elegance HD skin which I quite like so I have switched over to that skin, not sure if this is a heavy skin or not.

Tode, I am not very familiar with EPGRefresh, but I am using OpenEPG to fetch my EPG data, which I believe is a replacement, so I don't think I can try your method. The best I can do is probably just increase the AutoTimer polling interval. I found that I had set my AutoTimer polling interval to 1 hour, so I have now changed it to every 6 hours and I will monitor it to see if there is any improvement.

• If you load most oft the EPG via OpenEPG daily, running AutoTimer more often then daily is more or less a wasted effort anyway.