Single event records vs. serie records

• Hi folks,

About every original tuners in the marked today distinguish series events from single program events in EPG event lists.

Here is a list of what i hope could be possible from standard DM image in the future:

1. If a serie event is selected in any EPG event lists, the option "Record Serie" should be the option. Today we get "Add Timer" for all events.
    2. When a serie event is added as timer, it should keep track of the serie and stop recording it when last episode is recorded.

I personaly think that series events has to be the most recorded events in the modern world today. To ignore a simple solution to record these events easily and professionaly would be going the wrong way.

Could this option be concidered as a standard option (not via plugins) for dreambox tuners too?

Would be nice to hear others opinions to this issue. :smiling_face:

- FoxyRabbit - Peter Pan team -

• In general I think your idea is nice and represents an important feature. But I don't think it is realizable :frowning_face:
    How would you think of implementing this feature? I don't think there is any information available wheter an EPG entry represents a movie, a series or anything else. And furthermore there are no information on episodes and seasons available.

The Plugins you mentioned (SerienRecorder, SeriesPlugin) are using a third-party webservice to manage the recordings. This can't be an option for the original image. At least not in the current stage without an official agreement and a better perfoming API.

so long
    m0rphU

• I got two providers myself. First one is GET cable in Norway. All series events epg description will there always include season and episode info. Example: "S03 E10". Season 3, Episode 10

My other provider is Viasat sattelite. Here all series events epg descriptins include strings like this: "(S1,E8)". Season 1, Episode 8

So far it should be possible to identify an event serie from a single event by just searching in event descriptions. So already before the channellist is made (by the system) it should be possible to get that info and append it to the list as usefull info to other system applications.

I can not tell if this is likewise for all providers series event descriptions out there, but I will come back with more info regarding this for other providers in my area later. Conclusion so far, it obviously looks like its important for EPG makers to inform all of us wich episode and season the serie event is. If this should be the case for every provider, it should be enough to play with for DM to implement this option into the system. As I said before, it should not be some kind og 3rd party solution for this, it should rather be integrated to the system.

• Well, you are mixing multiple things. Detection and proper identification of series and producing timers are 2 different things.

But as you already found out yourself, providers are titling serial seasons and episodes different, and there are also reptitions of the same episode. Very often this information is hidden in the detailed description and not the event title either.

In Germany the information is at the beginning of the description in UK it is at the end. The formatting is different, first seson often doesn't contain season number, etc.

One of the reson why CrossEPG is so popular for EPG loading ist that it combines title and descriptions into the title, so that the season and episode number is also in the title which makes identifying of recordings easier, etc.

I started adding such a Feature as an Option to my OpenEPG Plugin with simple code like this:

But this works only for mostSky UK and BBC channel and the last lines maybe for some German channels, BUT nobody really tested it or enhanced it further, so this is only code as it is with limited value.

NOW you (!) spend weeks on creating a water proof class which can return the enhanced title with combined eseason and episode for ALL major broadcasterns available in Europe with all possible combinations and then you move to Asia and US and do the same.

Then when you have built this great python class and tested it for months that it never produces false titles THEN you come back and ask again ...

And yes, If you provide this class I could include it in the EPG Plugins, Auto Timer and Series Plugin would also love using it and I even could create a small extension which does this title enhancement in the epg.db for all EPG serial events - even the ones not lpaded from other sources - as it then would be very .... simple.

And yes, when you then have such a 100% accurate EPG serial detenction code then enhancing the timeer would be piece of cake - no matter if it is in a plugin or provided by DMM.

NOW you know how realistic this is and why using external webservers with precombiled information is ... easier ...

But you can try ... I'll wait ...

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• Wow, that was a blow in the face man! Who deserve that kind of an answere?

I'm makin my own image, so I do understand that this is not done in 5 minutes, and I do understand that its impossible to make it 100% fool proof either. I also know that making the repeated records would be another case to solve. etc etc.

I just wanted a serious discussion on what is the problem as it is today, and what opportunities you may have to think otherwise in terms of solving the problem. Do we need input from the user to determine what is an serie event? Could we make an setup for the user to feed in info we need to do the job. As an builder of images I just want these images to be as fantastic as the original tuners on the marked. And believe me, many of them are becomming better in what you can see on screen, and what you can do sometimes. I just dont want that to happen. :smiling_face:

And I can not understand why you're running so hard against me, and in such a preachy tone as if you need to demonstrate your knowledge of the system, and then rub into my face how silly you think that the suggestion is. What is the purpose of that?

• Im not running against anybody but instead of complaining I explained what is needed first and what could be next and I even offered (poor) code and help.

If then nothing happens your wish is not granted because why should DMM do this for us? We had the same discussion for automatic selection of Audio Language until I lost my temper and solved it as good as I could.