DM7080 HD - New user's questions

• Hi folks,

I got my DM7080 delivered yesterday, looks good and seems very responsive so far.

So far I have:
    - installed HDD
    - configured networking
    - performed software updates
    - manually installed OpenEPG plugin
    - performed service scan and EPG download

This is my first Linux receiver, whilst I was setting it up I came up with a few questions and since there is no English manual yet I was hoping I could get some answers here, which might also help other new users.

PLUGINS
    =======

I read somewhere that I could copy a plugin file onto the root of the Dreambox and then install it using the "Install Local Extension" menu, but it would not find the plugin file. Eventually I used ssh to login and then dpkg to install the .deb file manually. Is this normal or should the UI method have worked?

Is there a list of killer/recommended plugins for a new box?

SFTP
    ====

Related to the above, when I was trying to copy the OpenEPG plugin file onto my DM7080 I could see an SFTP connection from my Dreambox appearing in my FTP app (Transmit by Panic), I assume it was using Bonjour to advertise the connection, however I couldn't get it to login over SFTP. Is there a preset username/password for this SFTP connection?

SKINS
    =====

Is there a website/forum with previews/screenshots of the skins available for a DM7080?

EPG
    ===

I am using OpenEPG to download the Sky/Freesat EPG. How does this relate to EPGRefresh? I saw some settings in OpenEPG for refreshing daily so I assume that this replaces the need for EPGRefresh?

How do I pimp up my EPG with picons?

RECORDINGS
    ==========

I have tried a few timer recordings and it looks easy enough to setup a repeating timer for shows that always start/end at the same time each week, however I have noticed often shows will have very different time slots each week. Is there a way to handle this on the Dreambox? Can I use a title or keyword to trigger a recording instead of exact start/end times?

NOTIFICATIONS
    =============

Many years ago I had a Mac running Elgato EyeTV and I got it setup to send me an email after each recording was finished, which was especially useful when using the keyword recording feature. Is it possible to get some kind of email or other notification from the Dreambox when it has made a recording or any other important events occur (like running out of disk space, etc)?

Thanks in advance for any help, once I'm up to speed with this thing I'm going to try some plugin development myself.

Charles

Receivers: DM7080 HD (Astra 28.2E)

• Plugins:
    This should work. However with the new Dreambox OS we do not have ipk packagaes anymore but deb packages. The regular GUI seems not to be adopted to that. It has only been adopted for online installation of plugins. You could use DreamExplorer (installable online via Software Manager) for offline installations. But if you're familiar with ssh/telnet I'd suggest to do the installation manually as you can react on errors more flexible.
    A list of plugins and skins might be available in some of the forums or wikis (I think there is one in IHAD). But in general you might just browse through the Software Manager catalogue as there are already most of the interesting plugins present (+ a short description).

EPG:
    EPGrefresh is used for regular EPG that is broadcasted as described in the DVB standard per transponder. Therefore you can setup EPGrefresh to zap to each transponder used in your bouquets once per day/night. I think this would be useless in you setup as OpenEPG cannot be retrieved in this way. But of course you can combine both plugins if you use any other satellites / channels that do broadcast EPG correctly (as the standard describes it).

Picons:
    Not sure where you want to see them (with EPG you might refer to the Channel Selection?) but usually you just have to put the picons (can be found in various forums) in the correct folder. For the default-sized Picons (100x60) it is /usr/share/enigma2/picon/, for smaller picons (50x30) in the channel selection it should be /usr/share/enigma2/picon_50x30/. Bigger picons or different skins might require different paths, but this is usually mentioned in the respective forums and threads.
    Other images (as Merlin :D) or additional plugins (GP3) offer other / easier possibilities to load the picons directly via the GUI.

Notifications:
    Not sure if they are already available for the new DreamboxOS, but you might look for the plugins enigma2-plugin-extensions-pushservice or enigma2-plugin-extensions-growlee

so long
    m0rphU

• Thanks, I will have a play this weekend.

I quite like the look of the Glass HD and Elgato HD skins, so I will try to find them for OE2.2.

It sound like OpenEPG is all I need for my EPG then.

For recordings, it looks like AutoTimer and maybe SeriesTimer might do what I need, and then the pushservice plugin you mentioned would work for my notifications.

Also, is it possible to hide channels, such as if I wanted to hide all religious, shopping, gambling channels. Is that possible in any automated way?

• That is NOT the way Enigma is working.
    You are using "bouquets" to organise your channels.
    The "global" list of channels is refreshed whenever you switch to a transponder. So deletion of channels from this list makes no sense. The same is true for all the other "global" lists like "Provider" or the Sat specific lists (all are simple "filtered" versions of the global one).
    Use the "favourites" bouquet for you favourite channels and add such channels you like to see. Or use multiple bouquets and organise your channels however you like.
    So the global lists are the source of channels, which you can add to your bouquet(s).

DM900 SS, DM8000SSSS
    Kein Support per PN! Nutzt das Forum zum Fragen, dann haben auch andere etwas davon.

• Ah, thanks for the clarification, I haven't setup my bouquets yet. Another job for the weekend.