Dreambox 7080HD wifi psk password bug

• I'm sorry but in my case the DM7080 doesn't accept the encrypted wifi. I tested it with free wifi it walks impeccable. I tested the wlan stick with my computer it works impecable in encrypted wifi .. The proof is that the soft of DM7080HD doesn't give the choice between different encryption mode it shows only PSK :grinning_squinting_face: ..

• Reichi
    I hope you fix this soon on incoming Dreambox OS2.2 experimental images! At present i can't watch many of my MKV with DM7080HD cause i can't transfer or streaming them!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

when you now don't can test with the dm7020hd at the exact same place where your dm7080 is located now.. and exactly with the same antenna setup at your router... you can't prove if this is realy a problem of the dm7080 or the new wifi stick.

Wifi is always a gambling. One of your neighours get a new router or changed the antenna settings and now all can be different to the old situation.

cu

• Ok i understand it can be a problem of near wifi networks (i receive more than 15Wifi network but i have a repeater also marked Fritz).

But that don't explain why DM7080HD crashes (it crash only on the wireless connection side; decoder still works after crash but it hangs when i try to reboot it). I can't complete transfer of big MKV files. And as i've told before that was an issue of 7020HD with early experimental images.
    It should be great if you can improve 7080HD stability in Wifi, then i can at least transfer mkv on the internal hard drive and watch them!

At the present almost all mkv i have on my nas shutter in streaming!

The DM7080HD is placed in the exact place of my old 7020HD with the same router! Difference is only wifi dongle (i'm using the white small one bundled with DM7080HD).

• Is it something i can send you (log file? But it does not crash with green screen; it simply hangs in loop when i try to reboot the decoder) for reproducing wifi problems?

• Dream-multimedia..

Hi ..
    I will try to report in detail what I saw as the problem in the WLAN connection in the DM7080HD ..

1- i put ennabled wifi.
    2- the recepteur scan networks wifi..
    3- wifi available appear after a few minutes with encryption protocols: wep, wpa or wpa2..
    3- i select my ssid router witch use wpa2 encryption with the ok touch..
    4- a dialog box appears ..
    5- it said: paraphrasing PSK
    6- I put my WPA2 code with letters, numbers and signs ..
    7- I put ok with my remote control..
    8- the dialog box disappears ..
    9- but there is no connection .. the red cross is still visible before the ssid selected ..

I reconfigure my router in free mode, and I repeated the same process without putting code (of course), it works, There are connection ..

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von kacim ()

• @Developers

Perhaps i found the problem: old black Wi-Fi dongle connected to the 2.4Ghz (Wi-Fi N) Band with 20Mhz channel space while new white Dm7080hd Wi-Fi dongle connects to 40Mhz channel space. With 20mhz channels connection was very stable. Is there a way to force connection to 20Mhz space?
    Dm7080hd Wi-Fi options are very poor compared to old Dm7020hd enigma 2 ones.

Also an important detail. If i disable on the FritzBox the option i found in the radio channel section "Wi-Fi networks co-existence " mbit/s with the router rise up but connection is still slow.
    My Wi-Fi space is very busy; i receive more that 20 Networks in the space where the Dreambox is located but connection with dm7020hd was very stable.

• After many experiments i reduced the Wi-Fi shutter lag to the minimum.
    First i selected in the FritzBox in the radio section Wifi N+G instead of N+G+B. Then i DISABLED both Wi-Fi coexistence with other Networks and "optimize for wireless Tv" options. With these sectings on the FritzBox and Dm7080Hd i can see many MKV in streaming even with high bitrate.
    But i repeat that with the Dm7020Hd connection worked well even with these options enabled.
    You should check all Wi-Fi configuration between Dreambox and FritzBox. However i hope you will enhance Wi-Fi stability in future experimental images.

• @Developers..

Hi..

Finally I was able to solve the problem of the wifi connection..
    After several tested and reconfiguration of the wireless modem, I found that the software of DM7080HD has been configured to accept only the wireless encryption "passphrase", encryption "HEX" is not supported .. And the code passphrase must be short, it should not exceed 20 letters .

• I don't use WEP, I use WPA2. Is the modem interface which gives me under wpa2 the possibility of including a code praphrase or HEX. But what I have noticed is that the codes with signs and numbers are not accpts. Similarly if the code is made up of more than 20 characters is not accepted ..

• WPA2 doesn't support PSK as HEX... But special characters should be supported. So there might be a problem if e2 doesn't connect when there are non alphanumeric characters. I didn't try that.

so long
    m0rphU

• Thank you mOrphu very much for your interest.. And thank you very much also Reichi for your interest..
    It is my first experience with a dream box.. I don't regret at all my bought. The quality of image is sincerly extraordinary.. I've recepteurs under linux, but there is no comparaison..
    I know that the box is under experimentale software.. But i know also, that the teams who support the box are the best in the domain..
    In my case, i reconfigured all my devices with new code wifi that is accepted by DM7080HD.. Hoping, that the problem of wifi will acquire your interest..

• @Developers

With the trick i told before now the Dm7080Hd seems to be stable during Wi-Fi huge files transfer. Now it don't crash anymore.
    But is still a lot slower than old Dm7020Hd with black Wi-Fi dongle. I started transfer of a 16gb Mkv from my Nas to Dreambox internal hard drive. Started the transfer this morning at 7:30am. It finished this afternoon at 15:30pm.

• @Developers

The network configuration (especially WIFI) of the dm7080 works still catastrophically!

- In order to get WIFI working I had to simplify the paraphrase on my access point, but this. But this must not be the final solution!
    - After I had configured the method of setting IP to "manually" I had to activate WIFI interface every time I restarted the box-
    - I found at some points that data I had configured were not stored on the box.
    - After I have tried several times to change my paraphrase on my access point and to use set it on the box, enigma2 crashed every time I went into WIFI configuration and clicked on my network (in the list of available WIFI networks). I had to reboot the box to change this odd behavior. Bu as I tried it again after reboot, "invalid-key" was reported and a click on my network afterwards caused enigma2 crashing again! Finally, I had to change the ESSID on my access point to be able to use WIFI on dm7080 again.

The affected dm7080HD runs with the latest MERLIN-Image and has been regularly updated.

I have been using many WIFI devices, like miscellaneous mobile phones, tablets, notebooks, micro-devices (with 8 bit CPUs) for years and have had never any real problems on my WIFI network. Such problems seem really to occur only in conjunction with the Dreamabox.

I am also a sw developer, and I really do not understand why so grave bugs in this simple function have not been solved yet - there are many postings concerning WIFI configuration on dm7080 and within last months DMM and no progress.

Beside the problems concerning WIFI configuration, the quality of the WIFI solution (low end USB dongle) chosen be DMM (also in other Dreambox devices) does not match for a high end product that Dreambox would like to be.
    I have got also an older dm8000hd where the USB dongle is hidden in the box, but the quality of the WIFI connection was so bad that I had to give up WIFI and to use Ethernet interface.

Could somebody tell me, how to disable the standard WIFI functionality on dm7080HD in order to configure it manually, using /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf? - at the moment my entries in this file seem to bee ignored.
    The second question is: where can one configure his networks manually? I mean, how to set them similar to settings in /etc/network/interfaces, like you can do it in the many Linux distributions?

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ojciec () aus folgendem Grund: Added some important informations

• Oh and, i'll have a look into the "long/special character" password issue!

Hey Reichi, despite your post being 11 months old could you please tell about your investigation/findings. The problem still persists with the latest orginal image (incl. yesterdays updates). I cannot connect to my FritzBox 7490 using a 20 digit password. On first hand I would suspect an internal variable using the wrong length while transferring the passphrase. But this does not explain the missing connection attempt after the passphrase input. Unfortunately the wpa_supplicant daemon is running but does ignore all my changes in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. Please have a look into the problems because long encryptions keys are becoming more and more important with the increasing strength of encryption algorithms. Thank you very much in advance!

• Hey Reichi, despite your post being 11 months old could you please tell about your investigation/findings. The problem still persists with the latest orginal image (incl. yesterdays updates). I cannot connect to my FritzBox 7490 using a 20 digit password. On first hand I would suspect an internal variable using the wrong length while transferring the passphrase. But this does not explain the missing connection attempt after the passphrase input. Unfortunately the wpa_supplicant daemon is running but does ignore all my changes in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. Please have a look into the problems because long encryptions keys are becoming more and more important with the increasing strength of encryption algorithms. Thank you very much in advance!

Hello
    I also have a FritzBox 7490 and a Dm 7080hd. I solved the Wi-Fi handshaking with the Wps feature of the 7490. Enable Wps, reboot the Dreambox, try to connect without password, it will connect between 20 seconds.