OpenPli quits supporting Dreamboxes (on the long run)

• Yesterday the wors thing what can happen to OpenPli users with Dreamboxes has become reality.

Because of Dream Multimedia their Closed Source action with OE2.0, The OpenPli team quits supporting Dreamboxes.
    They (OpenPli) say it's as good as impossible to work on good OpenPli images for Dreamboxes when they cannot look into the source of the closed source part (like drivers when they have a issue).

So the Newest V2 Dreamboxes will never get a OpenPli image, the Older Dreamboxes with OpenPli image, keeps getting updates/new builds until it falls/doesn't work anymore because of change in closed source part.

Here a translation from Dutch to English(by google translate) :

Source link .

My wish is: Dream Multimedia, stop using the new Closed Source license, use the licence at oe2.0 that you also use at oe1.6. :frowning_face:

Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR (HDD / DVD-rw | IPTV.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ACTAsucks ()

• openpli is much better
    DMM on the image of the mega-
    which take up the most mega flash memory size
    for 800hd

and I do not like the user to use extra plugins that Flashexpander example, Freeze, Barryallen, Dumbo

• This is old code and it will stay old code - so nobody will miss it, especially not my plugins :face_with_rolling_eyes:

• Look at the commits they have done since their fork and then think if this is bleeding edge engineering of talented programmers with genius innovatove ideas living open source?

I'm not saying that DMM currently playes in that league either - BUT they use an old code base and have already problems to support it on al non-Dreamboxes if you look at the trouble reports in their board. But off course always bad drivers and lack of support of the vendors are the root cause which is simply a weak excuse if it runs nicely with the original images of the vendors.

They have used outdated drivers for Dreamboxes for almost 9 months and asked the users having troubles to complain with DMM on bugs fixed long ago in the latest drivers which they simply ignored to make the other boxes look better. They didn't enable ubifs on Dreamboxes until they were forced to, etc. And they always blamed DMM for this level of competence they have shown - at least this farce is now over - Thank you!

But I will not repeat all this once more, as this is boring and I'm not a moaning person either.

And finally the argument that they will continue to build images for the old Dreamboxes even when they will not work anymore or get any updates in my opinion is a bad joke - this means they simply don't want to disable the Softwarefeed for the cloned Dreamboxes - how dumb do they think we are ???

gutemine

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• And finally the argument that they will continue to build images for the old Dreamboxes even when they will not work anymore or get any updates in my opinion is a bad joke - this means they simply don't want to disable the Softwarefeed for the cloned Dreamboxes - how dumb do they think we are ???

gutemine

I think I am not going too far with my assumption...
    So in all respect you are actually saying that old dreamboxes which are not V2 are now considered clones by DMM and only new HW is considered original and safe ?
    I am sure that dropping support will be the outcome of this happening, but I am not sure what the current V1 user base will say about that.
    As far as I know the support for V1 dreambox is still on the table and not under.

Why so much hatred / adversity about things which happen without your will or intervention ?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von pop_eye ()

• i guess what gutemine wants to say is that clone boxes you need to have oe1.6-based images.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• If I stop something then I stop something = last image build and no more updates. If continuing builds which will not work (soon) you are simply ruining your images user's working environment pretty soon.

Is this what you want ? But please discuss this here and not with me, but with the people who didn't even use the word sorry (for their year long users) in their announcement.

And then they name me inpolite :grinning_squinting_face:

• As far as I know oe-1.6 still exists on DMM git..so his posting was full with hate and remorse.

gutemine - I am not judging you or whatever, just trying to envision DMM company in few months when all users
    will just ignore it. With no new product coming out the door...

Openpli is based in Netherlands, DMM in Germany. All the ones are profiting from this are outsiders.

• DMM has not done a 2.0 release on most of their boxes - so why should the unplug the 1.6 feed for these boxes ?

Ant there is no hate and remorse from my side, I simply dislike people telling only half of the story and using pretty weak arguments for backing up their decision and then others repeating them all over again.

And nicely hinting in their announcements that 'others' now can build images for them is a little bit amusing too if you read between the lines and combine it with the explaination for the decision.

BUT it is their decision and I have to repect it, as I simply did by removing the support for their Dreambox images in my Plugins and I only stated that i will not miss them as this was only effort they took without any countable return for me.

• Zitat

DMM has not done a 2.0 release on most of their boxes - so why should the unplug the 1.6 feed for these boxes ?

Because that is the most logical thing to do to crush the clones.

Let the teams supporting clones, do as they like..people are not buying into clones anymore.

There is cheap HW selling similar to a clone ...real developers will not mind doing that.

I think Openpli is not to be blamed here. What I think it happen - it is obvious - market fragmentation we should call it

where parties are not aware of the their market share anymore and start to drop interest. Same as stock market :grinning_squinting_face:

• Maybe we should open a special section in this board for gutemine-and-pop_eye discussions. Well, I wouldn't read there.

So come on, stop your fights :winking_face:

How can we win, when fools can be kings?

• If I stop something then I stop something = last image build and no more updates. If continuing builds which will not work (soon) you are simply ruining your images user's working environment pretty soon.

Is this what you want ? But please discuss this here and not with me, but with the people who didn't even use the word sorry (for their year long users) in their announcement.

And then they name me inpolite :grinning_squinting_face:

I think you are missing the point of Openpli. Free as in free beer..is the most accurate description.
    And I also think that this concept is the basis for their stance. Who cares if some user is missing some obscure function ? Was that included in a contract - or signed by anyone. Do not overreact about this. True openpli users know what to expect - it comes in the software package. :winking_face:
    What you are referring to is the "chitchat" which we all see on the all forums - I call it the openpli "twist".
    Remember nothing was done to destroy the HW or to make things worse or not working on purpose.

And coming to this sort of conclusion it only needs to clarify your DMM relation - are you employed by them ?

The most beneficial aspect of the community it is at risk here. Obscurity is not the solution to your problems.

• Maybe we should open a special section in this board for gutemine-and-pop_eye discussions. Well, I wouldn't read there.

So come on, stop your fights :winking_face:

I am not fighting. These are difficult times, we all deserve a chance and we need to reflect about it and learn the needed lesson. If you just "skip" it as a PVR commercial feature skipping..then you are not here for the journey.

• Nobody forces you to read what I and others write - or write a reply :smiling_face:

And I give you a simple advice - count the number of code lines that OpenPLi has committed since their existence (not the initial commits) - and then divide it by the total number of code lines and multiply with 100 to get a perecentage. And then look at the number and understand their importance and the right they have to feel proud. And then re-think your stament who drinks free beer others have drafted.

• Nobody forces you to read what I and others write - or write a reply :smiling_face:

And I give you a simple advice - count the number of code lines that OpenPLi has committed since their existence - and then divide it by the total number of code lines and multiply with 100 to get a perecentage. And then look at the number and understand their importance and the right they have to feel proud. And then re-think your stament who drinks free beer others have drafted.

...but I cannot help myself not to read and reply :thumbs_up:

OK - by your own standards their contribution is not sufficient or maybe not even to be considered as such.
    However - they have a slew of followers which you cannot ignore - just because they exist..and you know what that means for DMM.(aka customers). I know a coder is not really smart with the monies but the most logical approach to any type of business practice is including customers to be the goal for the business...so that monies are not the result of harvesting trees.