OpenPli quits supporting Dreamboxes (on the long run)

• To some extent you are getting now the funny part of their decision - they spent lots of time and effort for removing and re-writing Dreambox specific things to make it work on other boxes and now they are complaining that it is too difficult to keep the original running. And just because lots of people are using your stuff doesn't mean you are clever or important - I'm the best example for this :grinning_squinting_face:

• Nobody said you are clever or important. I am nobody. Is that good with you ? :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

The truth to the matter is...DMM have lost a major portion of their original users because of the clone
    noodle shop business. If anyone opinion matters - since it seems they don`t give much about that (why after 2-3 years since cloners have started the PCB printing machine there are still original dream boxes selling out there without some improved security added or anything to stand out in the crowd ? )

Going back at you ... the Openpli decision might have something to do with their limited resources they have...and probably being a coder yourself you know what that means...cut some slack.
    How to improve that reaction ? By supporting them, with whatever means necessary since they are committing to support. Well...it has nothing to do with what they done in the past, what not..it is human nature. Yes, people enjoy using others work, especially because is free, as in free beer. From my experience this is not far fetched from linux concept either.

• The male tux is actually warming the eggs their females produced and almost starves to death while doing so - and yes, this is how Linux community works.

I'm not complaining about this situation - as it also gives some freedom for all involved parties - including DMM, or even me who decided to partially opt out.

If then people are unhappy I always ask what they have done for me to request me doing something for them.

The funny thing is that often they didn't even ask :face_with_rolling_eyes:

• DMM has nothing to do with the male tux in this case. DMM has always portrayed himself as Goliath. :face_with_rolling_eyes:
    And was right to do so, considering the growth they have enjoyed since inception.

I am not asking you gutemine - perhaps my message was misunderstood...this is a DMM board after all.

Similar to the thread about vtuner.

I stand corrected and agree with your answer if i know that your opinion matters in DMM decision.

Until then, it is always nice to chat about things which do not affect us personally...

• If I would be totally wrong everybody is welcome to correct me after reading my signature :smiling_face:

• If you are lost in translation it means the original text was not prepared properly ? :kissing_face:

I can see that happening - also it can show that gutemine is a human being after all..not a perfect individual

but one with flaws and who knows how to listen and what decisions to make.

But in DMM own image you are not compatible. How is that possible ? Is all smoke and mirrors ? :winking_face_with_tongue:

re: your avatar

analog != digital

• This thread is about PLi Teams decision not about mine.

I only share my understanding of the decision, my amusement and the consequences.

And sometimes I simply take myself the freedom to disagree or share my dumbness :grinning_squinting_face:

• I only wanted an insight..and I know a posting in a forum will not change anything.
    For my own analysis this is exactly what I was guessing was happening.

Fun and free beer sometimes are not making friends..
    I think that is weird from my own point of view.

But you are welcome to have good shots as long not with water. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

• Just out of curiosity I enabled already a couple of months ago the possibility to run VU+ and ET/CT Images on Dreamboxes (both native with Jack the Ripper and in Multibooting with BA) - and this includes also the PLi based ones. And with all the 'great innovation and optimization that these vendors have done for their boxes' this still works nicely on a Dreambox, you can even use the Opera Webbrowser (but I will not tell anybody how as they could sue me)

So yes, I take sometimes the freedom of sharing my own amusement :face_with_tongue: and wait for the side effects and discussions. Now PLi has to live with the same ... and I have now almost 10 years of experience in bad manner ... at least I was told so ... there.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• Opera Browser..and suing , are you sure ?

I don`t think they are paying license per box - since they have the binaries on a open repository.
    There is a lot of spoken overhead in the hobby to protect witty eyes from discovering that a mipsel binary is working same on any hardware if installed properly. :winking_face:
    In your case this can be working both ways - I thought originally dreambox was copied because Cccam was made only for mipsel. Everyone is sharing out of their amusement. I dont think anyone is doing this with other intentions, unless a company is involved.

• Read the license files of Opera in their OE, and these binaries check the boxtype from /proc - but it is very easy to lie there.

These '3rd party boxes' still announce themselves in /proc as Dreamboxes (guess why) - so I don't have a legal problem to lie the same way on a Dreambox.

Then the binary already runs nicely but you will not see any Framebuffer output until .... = censored by gutemine.

But this is also OT here - but very amusing as they include such evil closed source binaries in their OE while preaching Open Source to us.

• Hi b_s101
    I think this is very much to DMM, and I suggest that you read at least twice this thing through from beginning to end in pli forum!

Therefore, I still waiting for the official position. :smiling_face:

Z

• Hi b_s101
    I think this is very much to DMM, and I suggest that you read at least twice this thing through from beginning to end in pli forum!

Actually I did read things twice on the OpenPli board - once in german and once in english. I would have read it thrice but it's pretty hard for me to read dutch.

Anyways... I wasn't kidding when suggesting reading the statement on the OpenPli website as this is the official statement. DMM doesn't have anything to do with the images provided by OpenPli. Except the initial development of E2.

• OK,
    I did not come here to argue with you - what do I do now???

I bought my fucking DreamBox to use it with PLI software.

Tomorrow it will not work no longer with Pli.

Cursed, cursed life.

I'm fucking pissed off about that.

• No matter how sad this might be for you, they are right. Pli was just one of several image-teams publishing images based on dmm's source code. While most teams moved on to the oe2.0 pli decided to stay with the outdated oe1.6. so, there is no way dream owes you something.

Your dreambox is able to be run with any image as long as it is an original dreambox. If it's nit an original but a clone then it's your problem.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource