CrossEPG overloads flash when downloading more than one EPG file

• I wonder if this is an issue for DreamMultimedia or the makers of CrossEPG?

When i activate more than one download, for example Rytec Benelux + Rytec UK, the proces
    gets slower and slower untill the DM8000 freezes. It looks like the flash becomes full, despite
    of having the HDD selected as the download destination.
    If i download only one file, for example Rytec UK, everything goes fine.

So it looks like something goes wrong while swapping from internal flash to HDD.

I use OE2.0 + DM8000.

• Flash = internal memory afaik. :winking_face:

Rytec files contain no more than 6-8 days data.

In the past i used Openpli with the xmltv-importer plugin (this plugin doesn't work on OE2.0). You could
    load as many Rytec files as you want without any problem. Now with OE2.0/CrossEPG more than one and you
    are in trouble. Something's wrong here.
    The way CrossEPG/OE2.0 swapping EGP data from flash(mem) to HDD is not what it should be.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Apple740 ()

• flash is not RAM

the EPG is loaded in RAM while E2 is running,
    only when E2 is stopped the epg.dat is written

the path in crossepg is for storing the downloaded files before they are imported in the "EPG"
    (and also the ext.epg.dat is stored for a fast reloading)

EDIT:
    for Benelux I don't see the need for crossepg - I use EPG refresh to update the EPG
    for UK, I use the OpenTV source
    advantage: the xml-files can have errors which can cause problems

• Zitat

the EPG is loaded in RAM while E2 is running,
    only when E2 is stopped the epg.dat is written

So i suppose xmltv-importer plugin writes to the hdd "on the fly" (while the download proces is busy).
    CrossEPG isn't which gives problems.

Well, this is something CrossEPG should work out then because it's very restricted now.

• i think you still don't understand the proces :winking_face:

EPG is in RAM not on the HDD

the epg.dat is only on disk because E2 needs to load it in RAM after restarting (otherwise the EPG would always be empty after a restart)

crossepg or xmtv-importer "download" from external resources and insert these external info in the EPG
    but it doesn't change the proces as such

• are you 100% sure they use exactly the same resources?

and how do you compare?

both solutions in an OE2.0 image?

and: did you try already to set the setting to 7 days?

• Settings are 7 days.

Recources are afaik the same, Rytec Benelux, Rytec UK etcetera. Those
    files have a maximum of 6-8 days.

Xmltv-importer plugin does not work in OE2.0, so you
    can't test it here.

• I'm sure that that will work. Like I said earlier you can use one resource (for example Rytec UK) and
    have no problems with CrossEPG. The shit starts when downloading more than one (for example Rytec UK + Rytec Benelux).

• I doubt your problems lie with CrossEPG.
    I am using CrossEPG with more than one provider without any troubles.

As various other users already tried to tell you it is most likely a memory (or rather: lack thereof) issue.
    OE 2.0 is already pretty memory-heavy with a "normal" setup, add a SoftCam and a full EPG for a lot of channels to the mix and you will have a bad time.
    Check the output of free and top in the shell when your Dreambox starts getting slower. How much free memory is left?

• I suggest you try using the XEPGDB repack instead of the regular XMLTV providers. The latter also caused freezes on my OE 2.0 setup when downloading those.
    And a swap file is a must, restricting the EPG to 7 days alone wasn't enough for me.

• HI,

How many providers can be loaded maximum to crossepg? To tuner stability maintained? ( oe2.0 7020HD )

dm7080= DVB-T + DVB-C + Card NC+ + Cam CP + FTA
    /Maximum E85/Corab80/Maximum E85=46/45-42-39-33/31-28-23-19-16-13-9-7-5-1-4/5

• On my 500HD Opentv causes a reboot and nothing is written.

I use more than 15 XEPGDB providers.Download is OK.

But often I get "cannot allocate memory" which is corrected after a GUI restart

Use Merlin tried r1 and r2 versions of the software.

• I discover that Gemini Plugin removed is not visable in the feed.(update corrected remove suggestion)
    Reason is, it's too risky to use CrossEPG. It uses RAM memory, but their is too less left. It can work for one epg source, but it's too tricky that CrossEPG will fill ram so the Dreambox hangs.

Question to DMM, is it possible that we get a plugin that can make OE2.0 lite/stripped. Like removing language files that you don't need. Removing components option that don't have dependencies at other software components. You know stripping down towards kind of lite version.
    Or add a plugin that use storage medium as ram extender (but i realize this can slow down the box a lot).

Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR (HDD / DVD-rw | IPTV.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ACTAsucks ()

• Sounds like there's something wrong on your end, since as Bschaar already said, the plugin is definitely on the gemini feed.
    You could also try checking by using the Webadmin tool.

As for CrossEPG itself, as I said above, using a swap space is the best solution.