New F2FS (flash-friendly file system) file system support in OE2.0 ? (would be great for more speed/performance).

• Hello Dreambox users and Dream Multimedia employee/developers.

Today i read some fine news on a tech site.
    Samsung give something to the opensource community: a new filesystem, F2FS. It's a flash-friendly file system.

This is created to speed up the preformance of flash based storage devices.(Compact Flash, SecureDigital, Internal flash memory of Dreambox itselves.)
    I think we can get a preformance boost if we can switch from ext3/ext4 to F2FS.

Here the news item from "Linux Kernel Mailing List archive":

More info can be found from the source of this message(click) .
    Samsung developers say they solved the issue of the log-structure of the file system that appears with flash. Samsung devs. and Kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman agree it's easy to implement.
    Their is already a f2fs-tool on sourceforge .
    I hope Dream Multimedia will add this a.s.a.p., because the Dreambox(Goliath) uses lots of flash based storage devices. The harddisk is the only none flash based storage device. :winking_face:
    So i have the idea we can get a great performance boost, thanks to Samsung :thumbs_up:
    Is it possible that we can get feedback from DMM, if this will be added in a kernel update? Or give us feedback about performance.

Or should i have to make a ticket for this request, to use F2FS as much as possible?

Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR (HDD / DVD-rw | IPTV.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ACTAsucks ()

• Wikipedia shows that F2FS is only supported in Linux. (question is, any Linux distro, because if so then i suppose it's gpl'd)

Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR (HDD / DVD-rw | IPTV.