(Rsync) HDD backup plugin for the Dreambox

• Hello,

I have a lot of home movies and recordings on my DM8000. I wonder if there is a plugin that can do a periodic backup of my Hard drive to a network drive or external USB disk? Ideally it would make a backup and the periodically (like daily) only backup new(er) files so the backup doesn't take long after the first time. I found out I can use rsync, but don't know anything about scripting or scheduling so I was hoping there would be a plugin for that. Anyone have an idea of such a plugin?

• I don't know of a plugin that offers what you are looking for.
    But a short Google search revealed that there are several pre-compiled rsync binaries for mipsel, in case you do not want to cross-compile it yourself.
    If I was you I would create a small shellscript and run it via cron once a day.

This is what I use on my server; just for comparison, as it would be overkill on a dreambox. If it is only movies you want to backup, rsync might even be a bit too fancy. You could just as easily utilize 2 directories and a simple cp. E.g. record movies to /media/hdd/new, have your script copy them to your NAS once a day and when done move the contents of the directory to /media/hdd/movie.

Here is a shellscripting tutorial. If you need further help with your final script, feel free to ask.