Just a thought: Refund Dreambox payment, and give Dreambox back because of not opensource anymore.

• Hello all.
    I have a situation here.
    Since opendreambox2.0.0 is out, i realize that the Dreambox stb is not opensource anymore.

When i bought my DM8000 a few years ago, i choose Dream Multimedia because it offers a factory opensource image.
    And it offers other image builders to use their uptodate kernel and drivers and functions. So that was the main reason why i bought my DM8000.

Now that Dream Multimedia is closedsource, i feel like i get stolen by Dream Multimedia. because now it's like a average settopbox, closed source, no 3th party who can develop for this fine hardware.
    To use newer uptodate functions like Bluray burn/hbbtv/webbrowser i need to use a closed source image. Any other opensource based image cannot have this functions.

Is their a way to bring dreambox back to store and get refund? I mean it's not what it was when we bought it: a OpenSource engined device with uptodate opensource software.

Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR (HDD / DVD-rw | IPTV.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ACTAsucks ()

• Why no 3rd party?

The development of 3rd party plugins is the most dominant. And plugin development is still possible!

• Is their a way to bring dreambox back to store and get refund? I mean it's not what it was when we bought it: a OpenSource engined device with uptodate opensource software.

Stay with the firmware version which was current when you bought the box.
    This one is still OpenSource and you can do whatever you like (except of the
    drivers, because the drivers never were OpenSource).
    You didn't expected to have bought a lifetime update/upgrade package from
    DMM, did you?

DM900 SS, DM8000SSSS
    Kein Support per PN! Nutzt das Forum zum Fragen, dann haben auch andere etwas davon.

• Because the 3th party is now only plugin, not image source changes/improvements anymore.
    So everybody gets better of it because of source improvements with opensource/gpl license. Now it's closed source, and so only DreamMultimedia can change/improve. (one company can not do what a world wide community can do)
    If i use image of non dmm, then i cannot use functions like hbbtv, blindscan , bluray burn.

I understand that opensource image builders can use kernel & driver updates from DMM (and that is good).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ACTAsucks ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Either you don't know what's the difference between an image and Enigma2, or you must have missed the release of the opendreambox 2.0 build environment. See http://opendreambox.org/?p=17 on how to get started with building an image, containing a whole lot of open source components. The resulting image will contain all features contained in an official image. In fact, official images are built from the exact same source.

If you're upset about the new license of Enigma2's C++ core, then unfortunately I can't help you. However, there are still many areas that can be customized, e.g. the whole operating system including the kernel and most userspace progams, including all Python code of Enigma2, which is more than plug-ins alone. If something special is missing from the C++ core of Enigma2, then please feel free to open a new topic requesting this feature.

• Changes are still possible! e.g. take a look at Merlin3 Image. They offer 95% of the features as before the 3.2 release, so closed source didn't change too much.

Anyway you gotta get some facts straight:
    - enigma2 has never been GPL!
    - the images aren't closed source, just c++ core of e2, the drivers and a few plugins are
    - you can use all of the new features and plugins in any image that is based on oe 2.0. You just need to wait for the teams to upgrade their building systems.

Sure, Open Source has a lot of advantages, but most of them are still here :winking_face:

so long
    m0rphU

• I don't know, how long guarantee is in your country. In germany it is 2 years by law (it's not exactly that, as your dealer has to give you the two years and not the manufacturer, but this would be to complicated).
    You wrote, that you bought your dm8000 a couple of years ago... So for sure, you are out of guarantee and no manufacturer in the world would give you your money back...

Just tell me one single sat receiver that was first sold in March 2009 and still gets software improvements (even new features that you did not even think about, when the box was first sold)...

And if you don't like the new features (because a very little part of the product now is closed source), then just stay with your old version. And if you can't: sell your box and buy another linux box that is completely free... Ahh.. Wait... All linux receivers I know use a closed source or enigma2... Damn...

I'm still shaking my head about even having the idea to be able to give the box back after years...

• I think it's more of an implication of the TO. May be he would ask us: If you want to get your money back, since you can't change the enigma2 code by yourself.

But: see the example of linux itself. the hole system is open source. But how are the people and developers which are changing the kernel itself? I can answer: These people are only few in count! You could change the kernel by yourself, but you will not find anything of this code change in the next kernel versions. Only in a very abstract and changed way, if you had made a very very very good bugfix of a codesection.

So - also some people at DMM made changes of enigma2 itself. This was in the past, this will be in the future.

• This will be THE future.

And BTW, an STB has a typical life cycle of 3-5 years - so a fair return price for your old box after a few years would be close to 0 - if you accept this I'll send you the money.

But it is even worser - with your argument your should NEVER touch any Windows Application, because you are not getting the source code of the underlying OS either.

And the market for applications on top of Windows is worth at least a 7 digit dumber.

• Ok, i understand now.
    I was assuming that everything was suddenly closed source.

Sorry for misunderstanding. And i keep my DM8000 :winking_face_with_tongue: (because no one wants to take it over, and because i like the hardware)
    I'll check the blue-panel images, instead of full opensource images.

omg, never thought i'd use original DMM image on my DM8k. But i need that blindscan & kernelupdate(ext4 support).

• This will be THE future.
    so a fair return price for your old box after a few years would be close to 0 - if you accept this I'll send you the money.

But it is even worser - with your argument your should NEVER touch any Windows Application, because you are not getting the source code of the underlying OS either.

And the market for applications on top of Windows is worth at least a 7 digit dumber.

:grinning_squinting_face:
    I keep my DM8000, and guess what, none of the computers at home here have windows. because i hate that inferior manufacturer. (innovation destroyer)

• Innovation destroyer is a dumb comment, the Business Model of MS or Apple is that successfull that you can point out critics, but when you come to the $$$ you simply drop dead.

The whole yearly Linux revenue is not even able to cover 1 week of their combined revenue.