Is Open Source dead on Enigma 2 ?

• So developing python plugins is ok (when simple ones at least), but for things that require deaper intégration (EPG with drivers libs for example) are now dead basicaly.

Also, I cannot see the 3.2 branch at all, so I'm guessing I cannot see the latest header, no ?

3d_jc

• EPG is just one exemple, the same goes for hdmi-cec and quite a few other things. We already suffer from lack of exposure of the drivers (but I understand this one does not come from Dream), this definitively will not help.

It is very sad to see a brand that has been helped so much by the community closing on them brutaly like that.

3d_jc

• Thank you for your honest answers, they helped me make a difficult decision. After well over a decade of support to the french (and a few others) Dream user base, I'm giving up, I'm ending our support and images for Dream receivers.

3d_jc
    Sandox team

ps : and to set the record straight, we have not been involved with any commercial operation with any stb manufacturer, boy, we do not even have advertisement on our site.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well you know, as soon as dream has imlemented CEC-Support enigma2 will also support it.
    So I don't see any real reason about question other than vu+/ct etc boxes.

And I NEVER said you're being sponsored by 3rd-party stb-distributors... so I can't see any reason why you seem to feel the need to defend about that...

• There will be a pretty nice solution for integrating external epgs which has been mentioned on IRC yesterday evening :).

hello,
    when this solution will be available ? OTA EPG is not a viable option with csat provider in France, so we rely on web based sources for EPG.
    Plugins such as xmltv do not work anymore on the new E2 and can no longer be patched. I understand DMM position, but we cannot upgrade to the new firmware without a decent EPG...

Thanks

• There is no easy solution to keeping the flexibilty of open source while protecting one's intelletucal property from third parties. Something's gotta give.

• Is enigma3.x or enigma 4.x only as image of Dream Multimedia?
    If so, then why does a dreambox has cardreaders build in if the Dream Multimedia image don't support them. And why does my satellite provider (Canal Digitaal) give me a smartcard?

If i want to use a opensource youknowwhat-cam (yes we know the name, but i can't type it here, because of %$#&^@!# forum rules) to watch my sat tv/radio programs LEGALLY, then i cannot use newer future enigma 3.x and 4.x.. I mean i do my LEGAL smartcard in the smartcardreader that is NOT supported by enigma 3.x 4.x from Dream Multimedia.

Hmm then why do we need a Dreambox? I love my Dreambox, it's a awesome device, but why does Dream Multimedia makes it so difficult to the people who buy a original dreambox to get it working in away how the user wants it. (legal of course).

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jeroensky ()

• Well you know, as soon as dream has imlemented CEC-Support enigma2 will also support it.
    So I don't see any real reason about question other than vu+/ct etc boxes.

And I NEVER said you're being sponsored by 3rd-party stb-distributors... so I can't see any reason why you seem to feel the need to defend about that...

HDMi-cec support is just a example(it's not necessary tho, on dreamboxes with DVI-D video connection).

How about the old kernel, and outdated drivers? (with examples: no ext4 filesystem support, no blindscan and so on)
    Since the enigma2 developer is away from Dream Multimedia it's all standing still. That is also a reason why people don't want a Dreambox anymore. (not the expensive price).
    And that people want a non Dream Multimedia image ,is because original; DMM image is way to limited. Officially you cannot watch TV/radio that is not FTA on a dreambox, because the smartcard doesn't work in the build in cardreaders.

So i hope Dream Multimedia will think good about this, don't exclude external image builders from enigma 3 & 4. (really don't)
    If Dream Multimedia exclude external image builders by don't give right trough license (like no GPL licenses) to build on enigma3/4 then no one wants a dreambox because of: outdated Linux kernel, outdated drivers(&functions).
    External image builders can keep enigma 3/4 away from none-dreambox devices if licenses say so.
    I mean look at mytube & webif plugins. You don't find those latest versions on images for none dreambox devices. And look at how long it takes before a bug is solved. Some image builders can fix it in 2 days, DMM takes months or almost a year(example subtitle bug).

Dream Multimedia will not get better by this non GPL stuff (i think).
    I mean look at webif plugin licenses(newer versions only on dreamboxes), the result is that their is a development going on with lots of motivated people to work (is already going on) on OpenWebif. A Opensource version of web interface. See attached screenshot.

• sunset of DMM isnt far away, sadly to neice this in case me and my friends around have only dreamboxes

nowdays any smartphone is few years forward in features than E2(compared with E1 liitle better, but who uses now E1)
    and same brands going to improve ther TV sets which already ten years on linux os, but had outdated firmware

• I think you don' t get the consequences of all that stuff right.

Are image builders still able to build their own images with newest kernels / drivers / features ? Yes they are !!!!
    Are image builders still able to include additional functionality (like plugins, skins, c*ms, etc...)? Yes they ARE!!!
    Are they able to patch any python file in the image, that they want? Yes they are!!!
    Are they able to modify core enigma2 files for some very special features? No they are not, but dmm is working on the Integration of patches from that iamages, that they find to be useful, and for others they create interfaces that can be used.

Yes, there will not be 100% of the possibilities that were there before 3.2, but there will still be a LOT to modify.
    If you just take the icvs: there are -as far as i followed the forums, probably I missed something- two (in Numbers: 2) modifications of the image, that can not be done anymore with 3.2.
    And one of them could most probably be implemented using a pure python solution, the other one dmm works on...

Maybe for other images it is some more functions that will have to be recoded / submitted to dmm as a patch, but it for sure is NOT the majoority of changes that will get lost...

• @Jeroesnky,

I am not sure where you get your information from, but I'd suggest to replace your source with a better one. There will continue to be Dreambox images from other that DMM, including various Python updates for E2, as Tode already mentioned.

Mamba

• I think you don' t get the consequences of all that stuff right.

1) Are image builders still able to build their own images with newest kernels / drivers / features ? Yes they are !!!!

2) Are they able to modify core enigma2 files for some very special features? No they are not, but dmm is working on the Integration of patches from that iamages, that they find to be useful, and for others they create interfaces that can be used.

1) I read on the internet ccp code is closed source. Kernel and features is by ccp code right?
    2) Dream Multimedia is not allowed to change GPL licensed work to their own close license. That is in violation of GPL licenses!!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jeroensky ()

• Only enigma2 c++ code is closed source now.
    Not the kernel-sources (this would violate gpl :winking_face: ), not the work of others, no plugins, no skins, no python-code!!

There are already teams, that did never patch anything in e2-core and of course they were the first teams releasing new images (because nothing changed for them). Of course the other teams have to evaluate, how things changed for them, but most of them will continue!

so long
    m0rphU