Harddisk Initialization Lost on shutdown

• Hello.

I have now on several occasions seen this problem, which is now getting EXTREMELY annoying.

When i first had to Install my 2TB Disk it refused, so i found out to use the GParted tool, that reserves 1MB at the front of the data (2048 blocks) partition. After that, the Dreambox allows one to initialize it. (this should be something that the dreambox should be able to handle by itself, IMHO).

After that, i began recording movies on it, and it worked great until i shut down the power to it (when i had first chosen either sleep mode, or deep sleep mode). After restarting it, and trying to record another movie it refused with the statement "HDD not initialized" - and that was even when i could still access the movies on it from the media player (or via the FTP server).

So, i copied all movies over to my computers HDD, and moved the disk out and formatted it with GParted again, and then initialized it again, and it worked flawlessly, until i had to shut it down again. When it came back up, it again refused to allow to record to it.

Then I began to wonder ... could it be some kind of mounting issue, that the Dreambox isnt capable of doing itself, but a "Initialization" will make it do for it.

Anyways, going to go look for answers on the net, but if anyone knows a way to permanently correctly mount the internal HDD of the DM 8000, id like to hear it (besides, this >SHOULD< happen automatically by the Initialization software IMHO, but it just does not, it seems it only makes a temporary mount, that is lost as soon as the Dreambox is turned off).

Thanks for any help in advance.

Best regards : eskildsen

• Seems i found the answer myself after some searching.

by first doing
    cat /etc/fstab

i got the list in which the mount wasnt made, so, by doing the following :

mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0

i could now get the HDD to work properly - not sure if its permanent, but at least i will search a bit more to make sure it will be permanent. At least it works now by using sshing and doing the above.

• don't know what image you use , but /dev/sda1 is the standart mount on all dmm images . if th is mount is not there kick ass your image-builder

mfg

OoZooN

Support für OoZooN Images gibt es auf forum.oozoon.de , nicht hier!

Two Beer or not two Beer, thats the Question

Aktuelle Nachrichten rund um OoZooN-Images gibt es auf Twitter

• Well, it was the standard one installed (and it should be a genuine Dreambox HD 8000 PVR DVD, bought it from a german retailer, which is offically listed by DMM as one of their official retailers). - the "genuine Dreambox" plugin says a reg number, and as such im guessing that it is a real one, and not any clone.

Actually, the /dev/fstab file HAD the line for the sda1

rootfs / auto defaults 1 1
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/mtdblock/2 /boot jffs2 ro 0 0
    tmpfs /var tmpfs defaults 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/discs/disc0/part1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0

i.e. the last line of that list .... BUT ... unfortunately it wasnt mounted, or /dev/discs/disc0/part1 isnt equal to /dev/sda1

Anyways, if it isnt equal, the standard setup havent addd the correct line to the /dev/fstab OR the standard setup does not automount it.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von eskildsen ()

• What is the model of your drive ?
    Are you sure it is not a new drive with 4096bytes hardware sector size ?
    Proper alignment of partition is sufficient to get it working like you did, but full kernel and userspace tools support is necessary to fully support this kind of hard drive and not confuse the boot process and the automounting of the partition.
    DMM Kernel and tools doesn't include this support. (kernel >=2.6.32 needed and 2.6.34 for complete support).

If you have a 512bytes hardware sector size drive, forget all of this.

• all latest experimental images supports 4K sectors.

mfg

OoZooN

Support für OoZooN Images gibt es auf forum.oozoon.de , nicht hier!

Two Beer or not two Beer, thats the Question

Aktuelle Nachrichten rund um OoZooN-Images gibt es auf Twitter

• Sorry, but that might have slipped my attention. Where is the section for downloadable Experimental Images - been able to find some sites via google, but some looks suspect or otherwise not seeming like an official update (considering the "experimental" part).

as for Tazmaniac - im using the WD Caviar Black 2.0TB SATA / 64MB Cache / 7200 RPM WD2001FASS-00UB0 -
    LBA = 3907029168

So 3907029168 x 512 bytes/block = 2.000.398.934.016 bytes

so, at least according to this, it should be 512 byte blocks - though i have heard somewhere, that the Dreambox wasnt happy about the WD Drives, i can see no reason why it should not accept this, but a seagate drive, can anyone elaborate on this?

Anyways, by remounting the drive (even if it is listed in the /etc/fstab file, and set for auto : /dev/discs/disc0/part1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0 - it wont mount it), it will work - just gets kind of annoying to have to remount it every time i have had shut it down, though not a major hassle, just annoying.

Regards /eskildsen