Will a 32 GB CF card work for timeshift in a DM8000HD ?

• Hi All,

For a week I have used a 16 GB CF card for my timeshift, which worked fine.
    Now I am looking for a 32 GB CF card and found a Kingston 133x 32 GB, I have not bought it yet, because on a formum I read that a person bought the same one and never got it to work.
    Does anybody know of or have a 32 GB CF card that works fine for timeshift in the DM8000HD ?

Regards,
    SnijdeA.

• I bought a 120x CF card: It works for timeshifting, but it is at the edge of its possibilites: When you timeshift some time (half an hour) and then stop, then deleting the timeshift- file lets your Box show the spinning- wheels for up to 2 Minutes, before you can zap again...

So this speed is not recommended (by me)...

Best regards
    Tode

• Thanks.
    I have ordered the earlier mentioned Transcend 400x card and my wife just told me it arrived at home :smiling_face:

I will report back after testing it tonight.

• I bought a 120x CF card: It works for timeshifting, but it is at the edge of its possibilites: When you timeshift some time (half an hour) and then stop, then deleting the timeshift- file lets your Box show the spinning- wheels for up to 2 Minutes, before you can zap again...

So this speed is not recommended (by me)...

Best regards
    Tode

Already tried to format and mount the CF Card with EXT2 Filesystem instead standard EXT3 ? That's better for deleting files because it doesn't have that journal-index crap ... makes deleting big files much faster!

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiß, aber nichts funktioniert.
    Praxis ist, wenn alles funktioniert aber niemand weiß warum.

• I have just installed, formatted and tested the Transcend Premium 400X CF 64GB and I am pleasently surprised.

It worked immediately, it seemed pretty quick, but after writing 3,5 GB, my box rebooted.

No idea what caused this, I left the timeshift file on the CF card and started again.

Have not had any reboots anymore.

I have been watching a channel until the timeshift was 9,5GB, switching to another channel took 5.8 seconds.

A lot faster than with harddisk.

• Homey: I bought an USB Stick first, formatted it in EXT2 and tried... Deleting the file blocks the UI
    Then I bought a CF- Card: formatted it in EXT2, tried: same result: deleting blocks the UI
    Now I bought a very cheap 80GB 2,5" Hard- Disk (less then 20€) and connected it internally, and everything runs.

NoOne in the corresponding threads could tell me, if my Sticks or the CF (both about 10MB write- rate) are to slow.
    The strange thing was, that writing the timeshift and viewing them worked like a charm. Just zapping was horrible.

But now back to topic: SnijdeA: How did you format the box... if it reboots after 3,5GB it could be, that you chose the wrong Filesystem format..

• Like I typed in my previous post :
    I have been watching a channel until the timeshift was 9,5GB, switching to another channel took 5.8 seconds.

This says that I can store files of more than 3,5GB, plus, EXT2 and EXT3 both have a filesize limit that is a lot higher.
    So that will not be of any effect.

But to answer the question, I formatted my CF card with EXT2.