BUG: Low volume on media playback

• I only tried this on [Moderator] Image is in violation of the Boardrules [/Moderator] but seems to originate from the original image. Delete/lock this thread if I'm incorrect.

Problem is that volume level gets extremely low when skipping or changing MP3 files within the Media Player. Steps to reproduce:

[Moderator] Link is in violation of the Boardrules [/Moderator]

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von floh ()

• Okay, verified the bug in a better manner. I tried this on the newest experimental DMM image (date 2010-10-05).

Problem is that it's not possible to play more than one song in a row (or skip forward) without the volume level going down to almost nothing. Tested on an DM500HD connected to a television set by HDMI cable.

Reproduce:
    1. Connect a [Moderator] Link is in violation of the Boardrules [/Moderator] via HDMI to a TV (may be the same problem with other outputs as well, haven't tried)
    2. Flash the box with the "experimental-dm500hd_20101005.nfi" image and boot it up
    3. Send an MP3 file using FTP to a directory on the box (the same problem exists if playing through the network using CIFS or NFS)
    4. Start the Media Player from the [Moderator] Link is in violation of the Boardrules [/Moderator] using the remote
    5. Begin playing the MP3 song
    6. Press '3' to skip forward (same happens if selecting next song)
    7. Song gets quiet (extremely low volume level), turn up the TV volume A LOT to hear it

Some notes:
    I noticed the same problem when playing for example mov files (trailers). The audio is barely noticeable if playing the same movie a second time.
    Also checked with [Moderator] Link is in violation of the Boardrules [/Moderator] address http://dreambox/web/vol, and it says volume 100 and muted false. Even so the volume output is close to zero.
    I know that the above has worked before but can't tell exactly when the bug appeared.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von floh ()

• In this case you should learn to write correct Postings.

Each 'DM500HD' was a link to a download of an Image which is in violation of the Boardrules.

cu

floh

• Weird. I copy pasted from Notepad, but can't see how any links have come across. Will try again and hope no links is in this post. Don't want to try getting banned from here, just help. Verifying that the source code of this post doesn't contain any links at all. Anyway, I tried the following on the newest experimental DMM image (date 2010-10-05).

Problem is that it's not possible to play more than one song in a row (or skip forward) without the volume level going down to almost nothing. Tested on an DM500HD connected to a television set by HDMI cable.

Reproduce:
    1. Connect a DM500HD via HDMI to a TV (may be the same problem with other outputs as well, haven't tried)
    2. Flash the box with the "experimental-dm500hd_20101005.nfi" image and boot it up
    3. Send an MP3 file using FTP to a directory on the box (the same problem exists if playing through the network using CIFS or NFS)
    4. Start the Media Player from the menu using the remote
    5. Begin playing the MP3 song
    6. Press '3' to skip forward (same happens if selecting next song)
    7. Song gets quiet (extremely low volume level), turn up the TV volume A LOT to hear it

Some notes:
    I noticed the same problem when playing for example mov files (trailers). The audio is barely noticeable if playing the same movie a second time.
    Also checked the box and it says volume 100 and muted false. Even so the volume output is close to zero.
    I know that the above has worked before but can't tell exactly when the bug appeared.

• Is there a way to check progress (like a bug tracker, change log or similar) to know if the issue has been fixed (other than downloading image files, flash and try it out)?

• Hey Zenox,

I do listen to music very often with my 8K or 500HD, and I do also use repeat or skip methods, and I never had such problems like you.
    Do you have sound-adaptions activated on your TV? Or anyything like virtual-surround etc.?

• I've tested lots more now. The problem is only when connecting the DM500HD to my Denon AVR-1910 receiver with a recent DMM release. The volume is restored as described above (f.ex. if changing to watch TV instead of MP3) OR if I restart or change surround-mode on the receiver (it doesn't matter what mode I put it in - even "stereo" have the same problem). The receiver firmware can't be updated I'm afraid.

If connected directly to the TV set it works. But if the box is flashed with an 3 month old release it works on the receiver as well.

So it seems the newer releases output the audio slightly different which is incompatible with the receiver, as older versions of the software doesn't have the volume problem. This is the workaround I use right now, running an older software version.