New tuners? New features? Turbo-Fec?

• Hello
    We all know that new boxes will have new BCM4505 tuners, one is already out which is DM500HD, DM800HD se, DM7020HD and the new DM8000HD will follow soon.

As a DM user, many years ago in North africa, and now in North America, I can say that the difference is XXL when It comes to support, I understand that It's related to marketing/sales, after all It's a hobbie for us, but a business for DMM
    For n times, the 2 main providers here use Turbo-Fec modulation which is not tuneable by old DMM DVB-S2 BCM4501 tuners, so I can understand the lack of support
    but now with the new tuners BCM4505/4506, the turbo-fec feature maybe enabled if you decide to do so, as It's shown in the datasheet
    http://www.broadcom.com/produc…Receiver-Products/BCM4505
    http://pdfserv.datasheetpro.net/Broadcom/4505-PB00-R.pdf

Zitat

Integrated advanced demodulation decoder supports DVB-S2 Broadcast, DVB-S, 8PSK Turbo

[Blockierte Grafik: http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8288/bcm.jpg
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3714/bcmm.jpg]

Is there any chance they you could release a driver to support turbo-fec?
    If no, I really wanna have an answer, what are the limitations? not enough documentation? is it a licence issue? sales issue? not worth it...?
    I was in contact of one the DMM developer (before new tuners came out), he showed some empathy regarding this matter, he said that DMM would be happy to support NA users and that the available demodulator chips make it difficult to build respective hardware. Now that the hardware is fully compatible, I really want to know what you think or plan.

I hope other DMM geeks from europe/ME/N.Africa will show some support toward us as well.

Thanks again

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von anis_ber ()

• This is a very interesting subject to North American Dreambox users as currently there is no opensource stb that will tune turbo-fec.With the new Broadcom tuners would this be so difficult to enable?
    Any response will certainly be appreciated.

• I registered here just to encourage DMM to support North American users. I had no idea there was already a set top box able to do the job! Cool

• exactally a simple expalination , would surfice.. :upside_down_face:

seems like a rational question by Mr. Anis_ber

exactly tenderfoot (I like 10derfoot)
    I'd rather want to get an answer as NO or IMPOSSIBLE, than having no response and living with a false hope
    no body shows up so far :upside_down_face:

• Since no engineers seem to read this, maybe it would be good to post at
    DVBN happysat to see if a genius there can answer.

• Since no engineers seem to read this, maybe it would be good to post at
    DVBN happysat to see if a genius there can answer.

nobody can give support to turbo-fec but dream-multimedia, or someone that has the source code, don't think everything is open source, when It comes to tuners, It's really closed

One of the developers said to me that 8PSK turbo support is on the todo list.
    Just give them some time to implement the support. :face_with_tongue:

could you please elaborate further, are you one of the NA community? could you tell me when you heard that? if so these are great news
    we just want to have an official statement from DMM, no rush or whatsoever, if possible so let us know, if impossible do the same
    I hope you are right
    edit: apparently you speak german so you are one of the eruropean dreamers, thx for showing up and expressing support and empathy

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von anis_ber ()

• could you please elaborate further, are you one of the NA community? could you tell me when you heard that? if so these are great news
    we just want to have an official statement from DMM, no rush or whatsoever, if possible so let us know, if impossible do the same
    I hope you are right

That was a statement from Ghost when I talked to him 2 or 3 days ago on IRC (so it was "official" but not this forum). I asked him about blindscan and 8psk turbo support for the new 4505/4506 Broadcom tuners and the answer was that it is on his ToDo-list. :thumbs_up:

And yes I'm from Germany. :smiling_face:

• That was a statement from Ghost when I talked to him 2 or 3 days ago on IRC (so it was "official" but not this forum). I asked him about blindscan and 8psk turbo support for the new 4505/4506 Broadcom tuners and the answer was that it is on his ToDo-list. :thumbs_up:

And yes I'm from Germany. :smiling_face:

I hope so
    I hope he did mean to-do list for both blindscan and turbo-fec, not only blinscan, I know people want blinscan, turbo-fec is not used in europe/middle east
    let's wait and see

• DreamBox sales would sky rocket in North America if turbo fec was available - sure would be nice to get some sort of official response here.

• any update regading new tuner features, blindscan and turbo
    I'm wondering why DMM would change tuners from ALPS to broadcom, do they really want to add more features or it's just a deal because it is cheaper for them to get broadcom!!
    I hope someone would be courageous to say something, we wont drop dreambox wheather or not you add turbo, the sales will be the same, we just want a answer, like the one you did when people were yelling up about AC+ support

thanks

• I would like to thank DMM and Ghost in particular for their amazing work
    Finally it appeared that they are listening to north american users
    now 8/21 drivers are supposed to enable turbo-fec, dmm users are excited but no way to test as e2 changes are still needed

Zitat

* experimentally added blindscan support (needs e2 changes)
    * experimentally added "Turbo FEC" support (needs e2 changes)

we hope that turbo will work, and for both turbo 8psk and turbo qpsk
    can we know what kind of e2 changes are needed? is that new bootloader or new image release?

Thank you very much and keep up good work

• You should thank elgringo for coming over and hanging out once in a while as well anis.Us blacksheep across the big water always appreciate any interest. :smiling_face:

• any news about this topic...

* experimentally added "Turbo FEC" support (needs e2 changes)

any update? thanks.... from NA and Mexico users.... :thumbs_up: