DM500HD - Does it send 5.1 over HDMI output or do I need optical connection

• Does the DM500HD need an optical connection to my Onkyo amplifier to enable Dolby 5.1 or can I just connect the HDMI output to the amplifier?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need optical out :smiling_face:

Grüße,
    Olove

"All we need to do ... is keep talking (Stephen Hawking)"

Ich leiste KEINEN Support per PN/E-Mail, derartige Anfragen werden nicht beantwortet.
    I won't give support via PN/E-Mail and I won't answer such messages.

• Thanks for that - it is the conclusion I came to by testing.

Now the next question: Does the DM800 need the optical connection as it seems to need the optical connection is what my testing shows?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, it doesn't either.
    With the right connector cable (DVI-HDMI) - like the one delivered with the box - you have 5.1 output over DVI/HDMI, too.

Grüße,
    Olove

"All we need to do ... is keep talking (Stephen Hawking)"

Ich leiste KEINEN Support per PN/E-Mail, derartige Anfragen werden nicht beantwortet.
    I won't give support via PN/E-Mail and I won't answer such messages.

• Then my cheesy TV doesn't accept 5.1 via HDMI, cuz I have my DM800 connected via its DVI out and the AC3 Amplifier doesn't recognize the AC3 5.1 signal (no stereo in the back) through the TV Toslink-out. The amplifier does accept AC3 5.1 from the DM800 Toslink-out, though. So the amplifier is not the issue.

I have a very recent experimental image in my box. I have a brand-new Samsung LE46B679.

Mamba

• The DM800 has to have "AC3 downmix = off" in audio settings, You have to use the dreambox provided DVI/HDMI cable to connect to your amplifier (amplifier has to support HDMI in as well as Dolby Digital). I don't think you can connect the HDMI to your TV and then connect optical from your TV to your amp - that is the wrong way around from normal operation. In the event your TV supports this. you might have to fiddle with settings to enable it. You would also have to be careful to not create a feedback loop.

I am not aware of any TVs that can do 5.1 as they typically only have 2 speakers and 5.1 needs 5 plus sub woofer.

• Hi,

feedback loop? No no .. certainly not.

I have the original DMM cable in operation. So that is not the issue. Also, when AC3 downmix is off, then no sound can be heard on the TV's Toslink-out. When downmix is on, then I have DD 2.0, meaning Dolby Surround (mono in the rear). This configuration certainly make sense, because besides the DM800, I my TV has a built-in DVB-S receiver. Thru this, I have a twin-view and PIP, too. With the AC3 Amplifier connected to my DM800, I can't use the TV DVB-S receiver.

:smiling_face:

Mamba

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mamba0815 ()

• I don't know which amp you have but I use an Onkyo tx-sr607 and would connect that as follows:
    1. DVI/HDMI from dm800 to HDMI on amp. ac3downmix=off on dm800. This will give DD5.1 to the amp otherwise it will be stereo.
    2. Optical out from TV to optical in of amp and associate it with another source. (These might also be coax, but should not be composite).

When you watch the DM800 you select the DM800 source on the amp.
    When you watch the TV, you select the source set up in (2) on the amp.
    When you do PIP, you can select either on the amp.

• If it's done like described under 1) => get 5.1, as described earlier. But that is not what I want.

I have a JBL ESC 333. That one only has digital coax and digital optical in. There is no HDMI-in (Amp is too old for that).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mamba0815 ()

• I would still make similar connections:
    1. DVI/HDMI from Dm800 to TV.
    2. Optical from DM800 to amp.
    3. Optical or coax from TV to amp. See if the TV allows setup to output bitstream to amp as this will give 5.1. If the TV supports bitstream (or whatever they call it on the TV documentation) then you might not need the optical from the DM800 to the amp as it will pass through the TV. If the TV does not support this, then you don't have much of a choice.

I can see why you would like to use the TV to select what you want to watch as it means selecting the source on a single device.

If the TV does not support bitstream out, then look at my first wiring suggestion and get a Harmony remote control which will allow you to set up activities for 'watching' TV and 'watching dreambox'. Then you still have to press only one button to switch on all required devices and put them on the right source. And one button turns off all devices as well (bonus).

• The BIG ISSUE with the DM800 connected directly to the 5.1 Amp is that I cannot set the volume when the DM800 is in AC3 mode. Only when "downmix = on" I can set the volume using the remote. When the DM800 outputs true 5.1. AC3 via optical link, I need to set the volume at the Amp which requires yet another remote in my living rook. Yikes!

I only the DM800 would let the remote control the volume when set to true 5.1. (downmix = off).

Any thoughts?

I have a very recent CVS image in my box.

Mamba

• Logitech Harmony One Remote as metioned before.
    It's not possible to change volume when using ac3 because it's only passthrough.
    With downmix it's downmixing it to 2 channels that's why you can change volume with that on .

Dreambox 8000CC, Epson TW3200 with Euroscreen Black Grey 86", Pioneer VSX-1017, AMD A8-3850, OpenSUSE 12.1, EeePC 900, Xbox, Playstation 3

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Leatherface ()