usb preventing bootup

• when i have a usb stick in the slot and reboot, my machine is stuck at
    BOOT #75 20091005

I need to remove and replugin the USB for the boot process to continue.
    I have seen i am not the only one with this symptom but haven't seen what the answer is.

I have a Kingston 1GB Datatraveller v2 stick.
    My Bios Settings are
    Primary - Flash
    Secondary - usb

alternate primary - tftp
    alternate secondary - none
    usb support enabled

• seems to me, to be a problem with the boot loader or a hardware design problem.
    my mother board is Rev J - if anyone knows where that has known issues or not.

a) flashing via serial gets stuck after uploading the flash loader at "initiating http connection"
    b) i have tried 3 different usb sticks now. as long as one is in the usb port when the machine is booted, it gets stuck at BOOT #75.

You wait 10days for a ticket and they close the ticket as successful without any response (even though it is not solved)
    what kind of support is this.

if i am going to buy something made in china and not get any support for it, at least i want bottom dollar for it.

• I am curious to know what is in the boot strap considering,
    i need to change the default image fstab from:
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0

to
    /dev/scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0

before my usb stick is even recognised.

do you incorrectly reference hardware in the initial boot phase?
    is that why USB sticks cause the machine to hault at BOOT #75.

Once again, we see what poor support is offered by DMM. Not an answer in the forum and not one for my ticket.

What is the average Jo of the street supposed to do?
    I wouldn't consider the product fit for purpose for the average Jo.

• well, interestingly enough after the change above, i noted the machine successfully rebooted after a warm boot.
    However, the unit still locked at BOOT #75 after a cold boot with the USB memory stick in the top slot.

So, i reversed the WiFi and USB stick so the memory is in the bottom, the wifi in the top and the change above and now the unit successfully boots from cold start. However, the memory stick wasn't recognised.

So, I added both
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0
    /dev/scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0

to fstab and; -
    a) everything works as it should if the memory stick is in the lower slot
    b) warm boots are ok, but cold boots are not if the memory stick is in the top slot

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gwaitsi ()