DVB-T2 tuner in the future?

• Most of the HD material in the Finnish terrestrial network will be sent in DVB-T2 once it has been standardized. Will there be a DVB-T2 tuner module for HD Dreamboxes (800 and 8000)?

• Or is it possible that we can use DVB-T tuner in a HD Dreambox to watch DVB-T2.
    Like the CXD1981 LG hybrid DVB -C/-T tuner (with dvb-c HD support)

Wikipedia shows me this info at DVB-T2 page:

This system transmits compressed digital audio, video, and other data in "physical layer pipes" (PLPs), using OFDM modulation with concatenated channel coding and interleaving. The higher offered bit rate, with respect to its predecessor DVB-T, makes it a system suited for carrying HDTV signals on the terrestrial TV channel (though many broadcasters still use plain DVB-T for this purpose).

Since the DVB-T2 physical layer specification was complete, and there would be no further technical enhancements, receiver VLSI chip design started with confidence in stability of specification.

Who knows if we can use CD1981 for DVB-T2

Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR (HDD / DVD-rw | IPTV.

• Ok i understand.
    So, can we use the CXD1981 for receiving DVB-T2. (and if not then is it possible to give technical info why not)

Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR (HDD / DVD-rw | IPTV.

• I doubt that it is possible. It's the same like DVB-S / DVB-S2. There's a good comparison table in the wikipedia article. There was also a discussion in this forum regarding t2 in an other thread.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• Take a look at the corresponding table for DVB-S vs. DVB-S2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S2#Main_features
    The differences there are also not that big but you still can't use a DVB-S tuner to tune DVB-S2 transponders. While you can of course use a DVB-S tuner in a HD box to tune HD channels if they are provided via DVB-S. Same holds for DVB-T. The problem is that (almost) noone is broadcasting HD via DVB-S or DVB-T (other than with DVB-C).

So once again: HD vs. SD has NOTHING to do with DVB-T vs. DVB-T2. And while DVB-T2 is downwards compatible, DVB-T is not upwards compatible. So you can't use your DVB-T tuner for DVB-T2 but the other way around.

P.S.: My guess would be that DMM won't react on this matter in the near future. The reason is that in Germany DVB-T2 will be used only in combination with the new video codec h.265. As h.265 is pretty new and by now only used for UHD content, no Dreambox has the possibility to decode h.265 by now. So if there would be a DVB-T2 tuner, you would be able to receive all the DVB-T2 channels in Germany but wouldn't see anything because the video codec can't be decoded. And no, usually video codecs can not be installed to a STB because they have to be implemented in hardware.

so long
    m0rphU