DVB Subtitles - no DVB subtitle on Animal Planet HD (0.8W - canal digital)

• because there are no more updates (and no more money coming in) if you provide an update. DreamOS is different too and so is the subs handling due to a different version of gstreamer.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• Not only Norway, but the whole of Scandinavia is affected as CD makes DVB and TTV subtitles for their channels in four languages.

Btw. Found a LG TV with embeded Sat tuner, model 2015, with same problem. CD's own boxes, has no problems.

• And don't name it a new standard as it isn't it's just a bug.

I think your description on how the providers are transmiting DVB subs as a bug, is wrong.

Take a look at the link in post 2, and also what mimisku decribes in his posts 3 and 9.
    You will then see that something have changed in DVB subs.
    If your comment on this beeing a bug is correct, then either the core in E2 has developed a bug, or E2 has some influence in how DVB subs are transmitted.
    Providers have done som change in how DVB subs are transmitted on some, not all, channels.

Also.
    Good for you you can display DVB sub on your German channels. But that does not mean that the problem we are experiencing with missing DVB subs on some channels, does not excist.

- oddvarr - Peter Pan Team -

• I was talking about the software when I said bug!
    And again don't name it a new standard just because Viacom uses some unusual flags. Which 99% of the other channels don't use.
    That doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed!

• You mean there is a bug in E2 software since it is not showing DVB subs on some channels?
    Or am I misunderstanding you here?

• That was what I understood from you post.
    So my point still stand.
    Providers are doing something different when transmitting DVB subs on some channels.
    Since it is not showing correctly. IMHO it is misleading to describe this as a bug.
    A bug is if something HAS worked but STOPPED working whitout any outer parameters beeing changed.
    So is not the case here.

• While it's discussable if providers are meant to use the upper bits,

Back to my questions again, and to learn from this, why do they want to suddenly use upper bits? Does it have any advantages over lower bits? And why do we see this coming now? If everybody understands this it might be less speculations around it.

- FoxyRabbit - Peter Pan team -

• I'm not a hardcore dev, but if I compare DVB-sub document: "ETSI EN 300 743 V1.3.1 (2006-11)" vs "ETSI EN 300 743 V1.4.1 (2011-06)", many "reserved for future use" bits/bytes, har now i use, in doc. V1.4.1. And maybe first now, they are going to use those new features.

Sometimes there is a long way, from an ETSI document, to real world.

Just a guess.. I don't know.

• You are simply not understanding the world of the nordic channels. They are using the same channel for multiple countries with multiple languages and multiple subtitles, which is an unusualy complex setup. This is pay TV content normally not seen in non-pay-TV approved boxes, which means deviating from the standard is the perfect way to de-motivate such usage. The same is done with EPG transmission of a lot of Pay TV provider on this planet which is a much more severe limitation and nobody is shouting 'the end of the world is near' due to this either.

In this case they have decided to use these "up to now unused" bits for some color coding to make recognition of the subtitle language a little bit easie on their own stb, which is actually a nice feature and as Reichi stated was already implemented on DreamOS to support all up-to-date Dreamboxes - go and buy one if you want it and if not turn to some Open* Images who have implemented the necessary patch for their Open source fork of e2 already.

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• Well I have worked over 20 years, on a satellit Teleport, and know very well, how they are doing here in the Nordic.
    All provideres, want all to use there one box'es, and offen give them away for free, if you get at 6 month sub.
    And they don't care, if we have a SatTV or another Satbox, with at CI modul, and the EPG og Subtitle is not working.

I was just saying, that maybe they are now switching to new features, that there one boxes can support fine. I and other, is just guessing.

In the best sense..

• then your arguments are not fitting your understanding, or you try to create pressure which is ok, as long as the arguments are reasonable. We only try to tell you politely that you might fail.

• Fail and pressure ?!? We are not on the same page.

If there is only going to come a OE2.5 fix, it's fine for me. But many is going to be affected (especially i Nordic countries), IF it's a new DVB-sub feature, with all OE2.0 box users. I'm glad, if the DEV's will fix OE2.5.

I also have a Samsung and a LG TV with embedded sattuners and CI modul. They have same problem with subtitle, and I don't espect, that those companyes, are going to fix them.

Well for my old OE2.0 boxes, I can buy some newer (none clone).

In the best sense and no pressure..