DM525 media file consumes all memory, Enigma2 stops responding

• why should they, this is a SAT receiver not a mediplayer?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• The video uses the outdated MPEG 4 part 2 video format. It seems there is memory leak in enigma2 for this. This memory leak is reproducable on DM9x0.
    I expect that Dream gives this not a high priority.

I would highly recommend to avoid this format. The sample is a tv recording. Normally H.264 or H.265 is used for such transmissions.
    If you want to save space, dont use mpeg 4 part 2 (xvid).

I recommend to convert such files.
    ffmpeg e.g.:
    ffmpeg -i 'input.avi' -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 22 -c:a copy output.mkv

or use the application handbrake.

I saves space 938M (MPEG4 L2) / 559 M (H.264)

You can also try the h.265 encoder, but it takes much more time for recoding.

• And this specific model has little memory and memory leaks can cause problems very quickly especially if it's a big mediafile. You could consider installing the MrBig plugin and install a 2 or 4GB filesystem. This doesn't solve the problem but allows for more 'breathing space'.

• A simple test was executed on DM920 with stopped enigma2:

gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file:///media/hdd/movie/Murdoch-S11E08.CZ-Svůdník\ Brackenreid\(1280x720\)_3000.avi

checking with top the gstreamer consumes nearly 400 kByte/sec additional memory. It's only a question of time.

Checking gstreamer with other files containing h.264 and h.265 data, the memory usage is stable.
    The dream developer must fix their private branch of the buggy 1.6 version or replace the gstreamer with an actual release.

This problem is already fixed in the upstream version of gstreamer.

• Which means it won't get fixed as DP doesn't switch GST without good reason as it may break many other things. Also debugging GST is almost impossible (thats what I remember Ghost said in the past).

• The decision to start with gstreamer 1.6 was done much to early. Valgrind is your friend, debugging might not be a good idea in this case.
    This bug is generic. It can also be evaluated on a PC with much more performance.

To live with private branches on a old version is not a simple way. The negative impact: You must allways backport error corrections and features.
    Or you say live with the buggy software.

• gstreamer is little bit like Java, new versions have new bugs.....

The newer is always better doesn't work here in a consistent way.

And who says that DreamOS x.y has to use gstreamer at all?

• Use the box where it was designed for... Receiving and displaying TV/Radio signals. For all other files, use a PC/Laptop/Mediaplayer. What is wrong with people wanting to do everything with one box??? It's ridiculous.. If a file doesn't play, ditch it!!