How to create a full image backup. How to install plugins

• I aplogise if this sounds like a very naive question, but could somebody please help me with my quest for full backup and restore of my DM520?
    I looked everywhere on the net but did not find any way of doing it (silly isn't it?) I considered telnetting some magic commands or using plugins or some windows program but got nowhere. What I am after is to be able to create a nice .tar.xz file of my entire box and then be able to use it to restore the full installation. Is it possible?
    My second naive question is: is it possible to install .ipk plugins or do they have to be .deb? Must it be done with telnet or are there any plugins/commands on the box to do it?
    Many thanks in advance

• NO you didn't look "everywhere"

Flash a recent image and update the bios and you will have a backup functionality in the rescue bios webif used for flashing. But you will need to insert an USB stick for storing the backup.

OR use dBackup Plugin to be found in OoZooN's board

And NO there should ONLY *.deb be installed, that is what DreamOS is about ...

But you could also use Software management install local extensions that you can find in standard enigma2 Setup Menu ... or the UserScripts Plugin also to be found in OoZooN's board

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• I have just tried dbackup as suggested by Gutamine from the OozooN board. It creates the image file but the extension is only .tar instead of .tar.gz. Is it ok? Strangely the information that appears on screen is but the filename that is actually written to the usb is dreambox-image-deb-dm520-exp-2017-11-09-14-59.tar without the gz extension and is 104MB instead of 58.6MB. Is this ok or am I dreaming? Can I risk flashing this image even if the extension is different and the size is twice what the onscreen message tells me?

• your pc opens the gz and shows tar inside only. This happens if you have assigned a program like winrar to compessed archives.

If you dont believe change in settings to tar.xz and be more patient.

And if you have questions on a Plugin, why not ask in the plugin and support thread where you got it from?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Lost in Translation ()

• Thanks Gutamine. I thought you were the author of this plugin are you not? If yes many thanks for a great plugin. If not thanks anyway for your support.
    I was too quick asking for support though. Presumably the plugin first creates a standard .tar and then it compresses it. I looked at the result before it compressed, immediately after it said it was finished, but clearly it wasn't. When I looked again later on the file had the correct extension and it had been compressed. By the way I was not looking at the back up directory under Windows but with Filezilla.
    So nothing wrong with dbackup. It works just fine.

• The Plugin has a progress bar, and only when it is complete and the message comes the tar.gz is there., 52x box has not the fastest CPU on the planet, hence compression takes time.

• You are absolutelyright of course. I failed to refresh Filezilla and thought that the file had not been compressed when the finished message appeared on the TV screen. I have now double checked and it is perfectly fine. Many thanks again for a great plugin. Very useful and easy to use.