DreamOS: play mp4 with fast forward/rewind

• Using latest unstable DreamOS at dm7080 and playing a recorded mp4 file. I want to play that file with using FF (fast forward) and RW (rewind) and meanwhile keep seeing the content of the file.
    A very long time ago I have read somewhere, that actually the FF and RW buttons are in general for internal recordings (.ts files) and for media files (like .mp4, .avi, .mkv etc) you better user the keys 1/3, 4/6, 7/9). However when doing that you can not watch the movie because those keys let the film jump :frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face:

I find out that the FF and RW buttons do work (a bit), so you can watch the mp4 movie at a higher speed (forward and backwards), but:

- FF speeds up only to max 16x (2 4 8 16), while in my (expert) settings it extends to 128 (2 4 8 16 32 64 128)
    - RW works only at a speed of 2x.
    - the initial speeds as been set in (expert) settings, do not (properly) work for media files.

Is possible to change E2 to:

- let the FF button also work for media files (and not stop at max 16)
    - let the RW button also work for media files (and not stop at max 2)

• Das Forum heißt doch Fragen zur Benutzung!

Sonst schreibst du doch auch immer in Deutsch. Wieso nicht hier?

Es gibt genug User die Englisch nicht unbedingt verstehen und dein Beitrag sicherlich interessiert.

Wenn du es aber unbedingt in Englisch schreiben möchtest dann doch aber besser hier.

Schließlich ist die Sektion ja extra dafür da.

mfg.

schnubbel
    Schiller Fan

• Stimmt so nicht. Er wechselt. Mal Deutsch, mal Englisch. Vielleicht ein shared account.

Gruss
    Dre

Boxen (im Einsatz): DM920, DM900, DMOne
    Developer Project Merlin - we are OpenSource

• A very long time ago I have read somewhere, that actually the FF and RW buttons are in general for internal recordings (.ts files) and for media files (like .mp4, .avi, .mkv etc) you better user the keys 1/3, 4/6, 7/9). However when doing that you can not watch the movie because those keys let the film jump

This used to be correct until some version of DreamOS unstable last year or so. Thanks to changes in the underlying media framework (GStreamer, which is used for all non-TS media, was updated from version 0.10 to 1.0), the forwarding and rewinding functions could be brought to "work somehow". This means that they still don't work fully reliable and only with the mentioned limitations.
    There might be other GStreamer versions and solutions which could improve this, but those have other bugs and drawbacks. Additionally GStreamer is now under heavy development, so it is difficult to find a stable version at all. That's also the reason that DreamOS did not switch to the latest available GStreamer (1.12 by now) but to 1.6.

So for now the answer is: FF to 16x and RW to 2x is all we got. Maybe this will change in the future but this is partly out of scope for Dream as it also depends on external projects.

so long
    m0rphU

• Das ist jetzt schon das bestmögliche und funktioniert nicht zuverlässig sei froh dass es Dream trotzdem aktiviert gelassen hat.

PS: Der ständige Wechsel bei ihm zwischen Deutsch und Englisch stört mich auch. Vor allem weil keiner versteht warum, er ist ja scheinbar Deutschmuttersprachler? Und bei Dream sprechen auch alle Deutsch :winking_face: