Please help with Win NFS mount

• Hi, I'm experiencing stuttering 1080p playback streaming from my PC and read that switching from CIFS to NFS might help. So I'm trying to set up a Windows NFS server for my DM500Hd to connect to, with no luck so far.

I am using http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenfs/ FreeNFS for now but when mounting the shared dir manually via telnet I get:

Code
    root@dm500hd:~# mount -t nfs -o wsize=8192,rsize=8192,nolock,rw 10.0.0.20:/myvid
    eos /media/nfs
    mount: 10.0.0.20:/myvideos failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory

Also, when trying "root@dm500hd:~# mkdir /media/net/test" I get:

Code
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/media/net/test': Permission denied

Can anyone advise what is going on here? Many thanks!

• If you are using windows 7, you need to create a new user and specify his username and password in the command.
    In XP, cifs worked without user and pass but they changed it in win 7.
    However, I didn't use nfs but the reasoning could be the same.

• If you are using windows 7, you need to create a new user and specify his username and password in the command.
    In XP, cifs worked without user and pass but they changed it in win 7.
    However, I didn't use nfs but the reasoning could be the same.

NFS does not need this. Anyone with some experience with NFS?

Thanks!

• Code
    ... 10.0.0.20:/myvideos

I'm sure, that this is the name of a CIFS share on your PC. You have to use the absolute path to mount NFS shares.

After installing nfs-utils on your dreambox (if not preinstalled) try to find out the export list and the sharepath(s) of the NFS-server running on your PC

showmount -e 10.0.0.20

then use the shown path to mount the share

Gruß Fred

Die Dreambox ist tot, es lebe die Dreambox

• Finally someone with an idea! :smiling_face: Yes that's my CIFS share.

OK I'm trying this but getting:

Code
    root@dm500hd:~# showmount -e 10.0.0.20
    -sh: showmount: not found

But:

Code
    root@dm500hd:~# ipkg install nfs-utils
    Package nfs-utils (1.1.2-r8) installed in root is up to date.

What gives?

• ipkg was used in OE1.5 - since OE1.6 you have to use opkg instead

opkg update
    opkg install nfs-utils

Gruß Fred

• nfs-utils 1.1.2-r8 was used in OE1.6 and showmount seems not to be inlcuded in this version. Which image is installed on your dreambox?

Finally you can find out the correct share path in the nfs-server settings on your PC too ...

Gruß Fred

• The showmount binary should reside in /usr/sbin/.
    Try

Code
    /usr/sbin/showmount -e 10.0.0.20

and see if that helps

No it didn't. But I think I've figured it out anyway.

nfs-utils 1.1.2-r8 was used in OE1.6 and showmount seems to be not inlcuded in this version. Which image is installed on your dreambox?

Finally you can find out the correct share path in the nfs-server settings on your PC too ...

My image is EXTREMELY old - Experimental 2010-07-21. So that's the reason, most likely. But you are right - I looked at the server settings on the PC and noticed the path I was specifying there was a root path and so I had to specify G:\ instead of G:\myvideos. Now I can mount 10.0.0.20\myvideos just fine. So thanks!

By the way, which NFS mount settings are best for 1080p (up to 50kbps) playback?

wsize=8192,rsize=8192,nolock,rw

is good enough or should I change something?

• fine that it works now

I think it's better to use rw,soft,nolock

soft will make a timeout, when the connection is broken, this prevents a "frozen" filesystem

In most cases higher blocksizes are better, but it depends on which blocksizes are supported from server and client. I think your image (OE1.6) will supprort r/wsize 4096, 8192 and 16384. Try out witch options are better performing - begining with 16384. If you leave out r/wsize options, server and client will arrange the blocksizes automaticly

EDIT:
    if you want that your dreambox will móunt the nfs share automaticly when your PC comes online you can use autofs

edit /etc/auto.network like this (customized to your share) -> auto.network

and reload autofs

autofs reload

or reboot the dreambox once

then you should find the share in /media/net/your_share_name

Gruß Fred

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Fred Bogus Trumper ()

• Thanks, I just used the automount editor and all is working like a charm now, including smooth 1080p playback! In case anyone's interested, I used:

wsize=8192,rsize=8192,nolock,rw,soft,tcp