Is Open Source dead on Enigma 2 ?

• Only enigma2 c++ code is closed source now.

So software code under GPL licenses is now closed source by Dream Multimedia. :wacko:

EEh, does the Free Software Foundation know this? :winking_face_with_tongue:
    Because it's illegal what Dream Multimadia does here, violating GPL licenses.

• How about the old kernel, and outdated drivers? (with examples: no ext4 filesystem support, no blindscan and so on)
    Since the enigma2 developer is away from Dream Multimedia it's all standing still. That is also a reason why people don't want a Dreambox anymore. (not the expensive price).

Huh? Release 3.2 supports Blindscan. You need ext4 why? Who told you the developers were gone, they are still here?

Oh boy I think you don't know what you are talking about! :face_with_rolling_eyes:

So software code under GPL licenses is now closed source by Dream Multimedia. :wacko:

Oh boy, I think you don't know what you are talking about! :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Enigma2 never was licensed under GPL, DMM used a proprietary license which allowed someone to use the code but this new code has to be published under GPL.
    Now DMM changed the license and the C++ Part of Engima2 is closed source.

Oh BTW WTF is Enigma3/4? :face_with_tongue:

• So software code under GPL licenses is now closed source by Dream Multimedia. :wacko:

Did you ever read the license?

Zitat

The 'enigma2 core' is licensed under a proprietary license.
    Additionally, this license allows Dream Multimedia to change terms of this license. If you don't like a change in this license, you are free to derive a GPL version from a previous version, of course.

Ich bin keine Hotline, daher kein Support per Mail oder PM.

• enigma2 was never licensed under gpl! so don't tell any crap. your are not at PLi board here.

mfg

OoZooN

Support für OoZooN Images gibt es auf forum.oozoon.de , nicht hier!

Two Beer or not two Beer, thats the Question

Aktuelle Nachrichten rund um OoZooN-Images gibt es auf Twitter

• [catfightmode]We will see what happen.[/catfightmode]
    I'm not going to reply to some questions above, because of privacy and I don't want to go too much forward(and want to keep specific persons anonymous).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Jeroensky ()

• >>I'm not going to reply to some questions above,
    And I believe it's better cuz you have outed the level of knowledge you have, lack of understanding the previous license that is.

But hey ... world peace! Let's call it a day.

• And I believe it's better cuz you have outed the level of knowledge you have, lack of understanding the previous license that is.

Sure, time will tell.
    And yes, i never read license of DMM software completely, because i don't(want to) use it :grinning_squinting_face:

• ...and I like my expensive "free to air" receiver

Gruß,Renard

• Zitat

And yes, i never read license of DMM software completely, because i don't(want to) use it

So why do you care, what DMM does? :confused_face: If you are not using the Software.

• ahso als Frage formuliert :smiling_face:

DM8000 HD, (sata) HDD + (sata) SSD - DeLOCK + (usb) Stick, OoZooN OE2.0 (flash)
    QNAP TS-209 Pro, TS-409U, TS-219P
    40'' LCD Toshiba 40ZF355D
    AV : Logitech Z-5500 Digital

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von SiennaRoot ()

• Form what i know: Basically yes and no.
    The python-source will still be available. But the c(++) core will be closed source from now on. The headers are are still available though (so one can develop c++-based extensions).

I bought an DM8000 and payed approx. 4 times the price of other products because it was open source. I am still using an unmodified mainstream image for my box and technology wise i am still happy.

Buying an Open Source/Free Software based product for me is a protection for my invest. In case the company goes the way of the dodo (which i guess DMM will head with this change) i have the freedom to keep my product going.

A couple years back i bootstrapped Debian/Mips and wrote bootloaders for SGI and Digital Workstations based on MIPS CPUs - I brought new use to those Workstations which were abandoned by SGI and Digital (later Compaq now HP)

So in the end the DMM Images are also based on my works and i gave away my work freely.

Yes - DMM might be on the legal side in withdraw the backend from beeing Open Source - but for me this is withdrawing the _ONLY_ reason to buy a Dreambox.

Florian Lohoff <f@zz.de>