Kernel 2.6.30 does not boot

• I tried compiling a new image based on the makefile for OE 1.6. I just changed the git repository from

Code
    git.opendreambox.org/openembedded.git

to

Code
    git.opendreambox.org/obi/opendreambox.git

I also changed the machine type to dm800.

But the image that gets built does not boot :frowning_face:
    The console shows the following (note that I also wrote stuff after this huge console printout):

I also tried to start with a functioning OE 1.5 image (with the old kernel) and manually upgrading the kernel ipk packages, but got the same error :frowning_face:

If I install all kernel packages, the /boot partition gets filled up (it seems that an uncompressed kernel gets installed there, and it does not fit)
    If I skip the vmlinux package, there is enough room on /boot for the other kernel packages but the link /boot/vmlinux -> /boot/vmlinux-2.6.30 is never created. Is that link important? EDIT: I managed to install both kernel- and kernel_ and now I got the link to /boot/vmlinux-2.6.30-dm800 or something similar, but the box still does not boot.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gusax ()

• try to boot it from USB-Stick or whatever. At least obi said this in IRC :smiling_face:

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiß, aber nichts funktioniert.
    Praxis ist, wenn alles funktioniert aber niemand weiß warum.

• There's no support for the NAND flash of the DM800 in the new kernel yet. I hope to get it ready during the next days.

Great, thanks!

try to boot it from USB-Stick or whatever. At least obi said this in IRC :smiling_face:

I thought that Barry Allen would not work with one version of the kernel in flash and another completely different version on usb?
    Or can I install a 2.6.30-image on usb and boot that via Barry Allen from a flash image with the old kernel?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never used Barry Allen, so I can't comment about it.

What I meant on IRC is that you can boot your kernel from flash (or any other valid boot source) and have the root filesystem on a different device (harddisk, USB stick, NFS) by providing an appropriate kernel command line (root=/dev/sda1 or ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs). Disclaimer: I haven't tried anything but NFS, but in theory it should just work.

Besides building NFI images, OE now creates a tarball which you can extract and use as a root filesystem. You can find it in $OE/build/tmp/deploy/images/*.tar.bz2.

• I've never used Barry Allen, so I can't comment about it.

What I meant on IRC is that you can boot your kernel from flash (or any other valid boot source) and have the root filesystem on a different device (harddisk, USB stick, NFS) by providing an appropriate kernel command line (root=/dev/sda1 or ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs). Disclaimer: I haven't tried anything but NFS, but in theory it should just work.

Ok thanks, I'll try. Do I just add the command line to autoexec.bat, or where does it go?

Besides building NFI images, OE now creates a tarball which you can extract and use as a root filesystem. You can find it in $OE/build/tmp/deploy/images/*.tar.bz2.

I am using your obi/opendreambox.git git repository from last weekend with the OE 1.6 makefile, and I did not get any tar.bz2. Is this a new functionality?

• Barry Allen + Wally West will allow you to have the Kernel on a FAT Partition of the stick and the rest of the image in the ext3 partition of the stick.

Plain BA would use the kernel from flash with the same limitations then you would have with a full flash image.

Better be patient until the support is added to the OE, if it is really only a few more days - I have to wait on my 7025 too :smiling_face:

Ciao
    gutemine